Feds Move To Ban Pythons & Boas

Paullywolly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Barrie, ON, Canada
CTU2fan;1562317; said:
OK we're at war, the economy's in the ****ter, and I know more crackheads than college grads...and congress is investigating steroids and videotaping NFL coaches while the feds are trying to ban boids.

Priorities people.
Amen brother.

big train

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Chesapeake V.A.
CTU2fan;1562317; said:
OK we're at war, the economy's in the ****ter, and I know more crackheads than college grads...and congress is investigating steroids and videotaping NFL coaches while the feds are trying to ban boids.

Priorities people.
:iagree: all the crap that's going on in the world and in america and it's all of a sudden we need to stop big snakes in america what are they thinking.:nilly:

kakojones

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
Florida
Maybe I should re-read the article, but I didn't see where they banned breeding within the states. just importation and interstate sales.
I'm down in Florida anyway I can probably just take a trip a little further south to catch some.

dougefresh

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Delaware
kakojones;1562682; said:
Maybe I should re-read the article, but I didn't see where they banned breeding within the states. just importation and interstate sales.
I'm down in Florida anyway I can probably just take a trip a little further south to catch some.
But even banning interstate sales is gonna destroy the breeding industry.......Breeders will not be able to make a buisness just off of selling to their state, competition would be too high with other breeders in that state and there will not be enough demand from that state either.......

It will hurt a lot of other buisnesses like people selling rodents, cage builders, and people who make accesories for snakes......If this bill is passed it will hurt a lot of people.......

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
rest assured it will pass. Unfortunately.

if not now, next time they try it or the next next time.

We live in an era of overregulation and fundamentalism, of the worst big-brother kind and it will get worse.

it will pass, as the laws about so called dangerous dogs , as well as, in my part of the world, bullfights, are passing....

we live in a society of hamsters

just my 2 cents

bombay_biorb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2007
Bristol,south west England
:confused:wtf i feel sorry for all of you guys and everybody involved whats the problem with pythons and boas.there will be bans on sea monkeys soon.:screwy:

malawi haps

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2007
south carolina
Make sure all of you do your part to voice your opinions in the site provided I did !!

lovespunaround

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2005
Spartanburg, SC
malawi haps;1564945; said:
Make sure all of you do your part to voice your opinions in the site provided I did !!
Also try to do some research before you submit comments, so you actually have something relevant to say other than complaining about how it'll put a damper on your fun or something like that. Provide them with good information on climates, biology, economics, etc. Telling them that reticulated pythons can't survive in the wild in Oklahoma is unlikely to have any effect on their decision, unless you can back it up.

krzr3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2006
CT
Although i feel the disappointment for myself and other responsible keepers. I can't help but feel this is a good thing since many corporate chain stores would not be able to sell these animals, not to mention less than stellar LPS's. After working in a chain store it seems like many people that buy these snakes do not care for them properly, and it seems like an unfortunate reoccurring concept is "i used to have one...it died/escaped/got burnt from its hot rock/my dog ate it/my kid dropped it" etc.

I think a better measure would be to set up some permit basis? To weed out the careless?

dirtyblacksocks

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Moreno Valley
This has already been debated.

Regulations need to be placed on python's and boa's in which owners require a license to stop all of the idiots from buying their 9 year old a spur of the moment pet then deciding they don't want it 4 months later and releasing it into the wild.

This is a cheaper solution for the government. I don't think it will pass, but there will definately be some sort of restrictions placed on boa's and pythons in states where they can survive year 'round sooner or later, and there should be.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store