Feeder fish for predator

cephalofoil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2013
landlocked.
if i'm not mistaken it's illegal to feed live vertebrates to other vertebrates in the UK. If i were you i'd go with self cloning marble crayfish.

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
Hmmm ok, I thought crayfish were vertebrates though.... I'll have a look into it, I thought it was things that caused cruelty that were illegal... wonder how those people that bought a goldfish and ate it live in the pet shop got away with it.... I might just buy some guppies to liven up that tank, and breed some in a smaller tank for when the ones in my main tank go missing

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
if i'm not mistaken it's illegal to feed live vertebrates to other vertebrates in the UK. If i were you i'd go with self cloning marble crayfish.
I've just done a search, it's not specifically illegal to feed live fish, the illegal side is if unnecessary suffering is caused to either prey/predator. Well, I'm planning on growing the guppies as pet fish, only feeding deformed ones that would usually be culled anyway. They would be fed at a size where they could be swallowed whole, so no ripping apart (I think that that is cruel, unnecessary and would imo be into the illegal suffering). Because I would have bred them, no parasites would be introduced, and I was asking for good nutrition so that wouldn't be an issue, so no suffering for my snakehead. These are my sources on the law (which do state the bills etc: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=3713 and here is the quote:
Pet fish are the owners responsibility and they have a duty of care to the fish.
They are legally obligated to provide housing, diet etc and are responsible for the fishes welfare.
The owner also has a duty that the fish does not suffer unnecessarily. The owner must protect the fish from disease, pain and injury.

As Defra said, it is a grey area, but I do no believe that feeding home bred, deformed guppies that will be swallowed in one bit would come under this law. Unlike feeding a large, shop bought goldfish to an Oscar for example...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store