Feeding a Bass

Steelies4Dayz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2015
Yes I'm on the Great Lakes and the temp out there is pretty cold and my temp is like a 50 around there. I've kept them in there for so long cause I acclimate them to the temp and I feed em fish flakes. I do have to cycle water every two-four days. Even if I didn't declorize the water I cycle it every two-four days.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Yes I'm on the Great Lakes and the temp out there is pretty cold and my temp is like a 50 around there. I've kept them in there for so long cause I acclimate them to the temp and I feed em fish flakes. I do have to cycle water every two-four days. Even if I didn't declorize the water I cycle it every two-four days.
divemaster99 divemaster99 doesn't mean cycle as in change the water, he means the tank needs to completely go through the nitrogen cycle.

I'm guessing youre new to keeping fish completely so I'll give a brief explanation.

every new tank must build up a colony of beneficial bacteria in it. One species that handles ammonia, and another than handles nitrite.

the ammonia eating bacteria turn that into nitrite, then the nitrite eating bacteria turn that into nitrates, which can only be removed via water changes.

your tank was most likely filled with brand new water and then you dumped all those fish in at one time, which will be creating a massive ammonia spike as the fish create waste.

I would read up on everything about cycling a tank first before you attempt to keep any NA natives, especially sensitive ones such as shiners.

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Removing and replacing water is called a water change.
A "cycled" aquarium is an aquarium that has built up lots of the good bacteria mentioned above. They live on surfaces like the glass, decorations, and substrate, as well as the filter cartridge- which is why you should only ever clean your filter cartridge in a bucket of tank water, never with tap water. If your tank is cycled, you can keep fish. If your tank is not cycled, you cannot keep fish because the ammonia is burning their gills. They will most likely die, and even if they don't die, they are in considerable pain.
Also, unless you're using well water, you need to add water conditioner to remove chlorine.
Please read up on the basics of fishkeeping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store