Feeding a tiny gymnothorax polyuranodon

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
Why daily water changes, do you not have a filter?

Water changes are disruptive to a new fish. Once per week or less should be enough.
The water changes basically consist of taking the water directly from the filter output of the under stocked pond where the tank sits in. Parametric wise, the water in both the eel tank and the pond should be of the same values. It's not water coming from the tap with different parameters, and needing to be dechlorinated.

I believe this is alright? But do correct me if I'm wrong.

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
Why daily water changes, do you not have a filter?

Water changes are disruptive to a new fish. Once per week or less should be enough.
The water changes basically consist of taking the water directly from the filter output of the under stocked pond where the tank sits in. Parametric wise, the water in both the eel tank and the pond should be of the same values. It's not water coming from the tap with different parameters, and needing to be dechlorinated.

I believe this is alright? But do correct me if I'm wrong.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I think I see what you are saying, are you using an unfiltered tank and swapping out mature water from the pond daily....the solution to pollution being dilution....

Reactions: thefredpit

snakefin

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Random Location.
I think I see what you are saying, are you using an unfiltered tank and swapping out mature water from the pond daily....the solution to pollution being dilution....
Yes. Far more concise than how I tried to explain it.

Reactions: Just Toby

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I wonder if it was collected from a brackish estuary and therefore may take a while to adapt to fully fresh water? A lot of fish can take weeks to settle and then live food kick starts them such as small worms from a clean source (not from the garden is pesticides or fertiliser have been used in the last yr or so)

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
I've gotten myself a 12 inch eel as mentioned in the title. He is about the width of a pencil.

However, I haven't been able to feed him successfully.

I've tried chopped seafood, tubifex, thawed out mysis and have attempt tong feeding or leaving it around.

Does anyone have any experience in feeding these eels and transitioning from perhaps live prey to frozen or even pellets?

Thanks!
Hello OP, have you been able to solve the problem of feeding the baby G. Poly?

In my country, we usually feed them bloodworms when we caught the very small ones.

When they got bigger, they will be feed frozen shrimps, live macrobrachium shrimps and live guppies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store