Feeding my Green Spotted Puffer an Earthworm

ChrissFishes01

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2021
Kentucky
I wouldn't usually consider this fish a monster by any means, but the way he wrecked this earthworm makes me think he may have the monster fish spirit, lol.

I occasionally feed my larger puffers Red Wrigglers (earthworms), and decided I'd film it today. I had my tripod all set up, and was expecting at least a few seconds to get my camera loose and ready to track the action... well, the puffer decided he didn't have time for that, so I ended up with this out of focus, lagging video. Still cool, but man, he destroyed that worm!

ChrissFishes01

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2021
Kentucky
Didn't do his beak any good but it sure filled his belly.
Yeah, he only gets these every few weeks because of how full it makes him!

Supposedly earthworms are supposed to grind their beak a little - they're supposed to be abrasive, apparently. I don't know how much I buy into that, but a varied diet is always good.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Cool! I’d call these guys a monster, they certainly have the attitude of one!
Now my amazons…they would be afraid of an earthworm lol

Reactions: ChrissFishes01

ChrissFishes01

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2021
Kentucky
Awesome, mine eat nightcrawlers all the time
Do you culture the worms, or buy them? I've thought about starting a small compost/culture since it seems I have more and more puffers/large fish that might benefit from "gut-loaded" worms.

Cool! I’d call these guys a monster, they certainly have the attitude of one!
Now my amazons…they would be afraid of an earthworm lol
Oh, this guy is evil! Whenever I first got him (he was all of 2") I had him in with some large mollies in a brackish tank. He actually got bullied pretty badly at the time - so off to his own tank he went. I tried an aggressive Fire Clownfish in with him whenever he was about 3", and I woke up the clown missing a huge chunk of tail-flesh. Since then, he's lived on his own!

I love Amazons, but they're so skittish! I'd like to have them again, but I really feel like I'd want to keep them in a large species-only tank, since even my tetras used to scare them into corners.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store