Feeding Small Tigrinus ?

EAC007219

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2015
I recently took the plunge and bought a 4-5" tig from Manny C. I let it settle in to a 20Long by itself. I tried offering cut pieces of trout worm off from hemoststs s couple times with no luck. Today I put 12 guppies in the tank and to my surprise it ate every single one of them.
I have read on here not to feed to much. The little tig got very bloated with all of those guppies...
Is it recommended to just feed a couple guppies at a time?
I really didn't think it would gorge the way it did. I figured it would eat a couple and be satisfied.
How often should I offer guppies if that is all it is eating? Keep it fat? Or fast for few days, then feed til fat, but not bloated?

Thank you for advise in advance.

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
Bro...dont ask how often to feed guppies, ask how to get him out from it. Yes its hard but they gotta eat right? Its better to keep introducing him vareity of food instead of live feeding. Tig cat can eat a lot and eat non stop, the more you feed the more it eat. try blood worms chop up shrimp.

EAC007219

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2015
I understand what you are saying.

But, from what be read on here.
A. Get it eating first
B. Don't feed shrimp

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
IMHO, the jury is still out on shrimp and other crustaceans or even all seafoods.

I've got 5 tigs same size from Manny C (thanks, Manny!) a couple of weeks ago.

I turn off the pump and put in frozen bloodworms, f/d bloodworms, f/d tubifex worms, cut up marine bait fish, Hikari floating sticks, Hikari massivore, a few other things. I keep all of this in there for 1-2 hours. 1-2 had started eating in 1 day. Another 2 joined in a couple days later. One was holding out for a week but then joined in as well.

They go for the bloodworms, floating sticks, and the bait fish, maybe tubifex too. They feed very well now, until their tummies are quite bulging.

Manny had them on live black worms and was mixing in frozen bloodworms to get them off live black worms. I've never offered black worms. Just started doing as described above.

You can take out what they don't eat. I have plenty tank mates with them and behind a tank divider that gobble up everything that's left.

##########################################################

I am with Sticky-Rice. IME, the best time to wean a fish off live foods is when you get them. I do realize it is not always possible. With Brachies, I've had success with tigs, jurs, capapretum, and dorado but the slobbering catfish so far is winning. I had to give it live.

Reactions: EAC007219

SnowAddict

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
Bourne, UK
I had mine on Massivore pellet within a week, broke it up to 1/4's and dropped it right in front of it.
Took 5/6 days but now taking pellet no problem

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Now that the little guy has had the taste of living flesh, be prepared for a battle of wills, effort, and time. It may not necessarily come to it but most often does.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store