jackson palaszewsky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2023
hi so i just got some new fish i’ve owned all of these same types in the past but never as baby’s so im not quite sure what to start feeding them, how much how often etc… i have 2 atlantic and 2 indo tarpon, 3 arowana, 3 arapima, 2 barramundi, 2 giant carp, and 5 pacu would i need to feed them all there own separate/special diet while they’re baby’s or can i feed a mix of shrimp tilapia and pellets? i was also wondering at what size could i integrate the arapiama with the other larger fish?
and i know how big these fish get to be and that a 75 and 55 gallon will not last them very long at all so just to let everyone know these are just my temporary grow out tanks until they’re about 9 inches then they’re going into my other grow out which is a 2200 gal above ground pond divided in 2 sections 3/4 and 1/4 after they grow out of that i also have access to a 25,000 gal swimming pool pond with a couple gar and rtc that has plenty of room for them in case anyone was worried about all these fish being in such a tiny tank 👍

IMG_8687.jpeg

image.jpg

IMG_8704.jpeg

IMG_8727.jpeg

Reactions: Joshuakahan

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I’d just feed them the mix you mentioned dipped in some Vitachem. However, I’d pay special attention to feeding those arapaima frequently. Not sure how small they are but if they’re fingerlings, you could start them on bloodworms and pellets to get them going

Reactions: tlindsey

jackson palaszewsky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2023
I’d just feed them the mix you mentioned dipped in some Vitachem. However, I’d pay special attention to feeding those arapaima frequently. Not sure how small they are but if they’re fingerlings, you could start them on bloodworms and pellets to get them going
awesome thanks yea the piama are about 2-3 inches i’ve tried some blood worms and krill with them so far they’ll take little nibbles of it i’m just more so concerned about everyone getting an adequate amount of food with that many fish in the tanks also what is vitachem? and i’ve been feeding the pima once daily should i feed them once in the morning and once at night instead? sorry for all the questions

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
awesome thanks yea the piama are about 2-3 inches i’ve tried some blood worms and krill with them so far they’ll take little nibbles of it i’m just more so concerned about everyone getting an adequate amount of food with that many fish in the tanks also what is vitachem? and i’ve been feeding the pima once daily should i feed them once in the morning and once at night instead? sorry for all the questions
Vitachem is a liquid fish vitamin you can soak your food in before feedings. Young fish need to eat often. Mix some combination of bloodworm cubes, krill, floating and sinking pellets, shrimp, and tilapia in Vitachem and throw the food in so all fish get enough at all levels. Also do lots of water changes.

As for the Pima, small ones like yours are notoriously hard to keep alive. Feed them much more often than you are currently. I wouldn’t worry so much about the others as I would the pima

jackson palaszewsky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2023
Vitachem is a liquid fish vitamin you can soak your food in before feedings. Young fish need to eat often. Mix some combination of bloodworm cubes, krill, floating and sinking pellets, shrimp, and tilapia in Vitachem and throw the food in so all fish get enough at all levels. Also do lots of water changes.

As for the Pima, small ones like yours are notoriously hard to keep alive. Feed them much more often than you are currently. I wouldn’t worry so much about the others as I would the pima
ok sweet thank you for all the info it really helps

Reactions: phreeflow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store