Feeling stressed? Anxious? Nervous? GRAB AN AXE!

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I Did Not chop this mighty sequoia. I did manage to climb on and off for the photo without injury.
TUNNEL_LOG.jpg
I have driven or ridden through this about 10 times in 50 years.

We live in the Gateway to the Sequoia, or so the sign says..

You can hike to the top of Moro Rock.
mororock.jpg
I only did this twice.

There's another Moro Rock in Moro Bay Ca. You can't climb that one legally, but people try. It's crumbly and dangerous.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
That is a cool pic of the tunnel through the felled tree. I seem to recall seeing a similar old photo of a roadway going directly through a tunnel carved through a still-standing, living tree as well...and a quick google check shows that there were several such trees, and that at least one is still alive and still "drivable".

A 1000-year-old standing, living tree...and some moron in a position of authority decided that it would be cool to cut a hole through it for people to drive through. Unbelievable.

Archimedes thought that he could move the world with a lever. Airy-fairy self-help positive-thinking gurus love to tell us that if we want something badly enough we can change the world. They may or may not be correct...but I have absolutely zero doubt that plain old stupidity, applied in a thick coating over the entire world by the already-existing thick layer of stupid people that cover it, will destroy the world as we know it.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I started watching the new Frasier series. I was surprised to see Nicholas Lyndhurst in it. Doesn't he look old now? A far cry from the skinny fresh faced young man from the days of OFAH. It just goes to show how long ago the show was.
Probably shows how old we are getting too!
I havent seen the new Frasier, i liked the old one and dont want it to be tarnished byt he reboot like so many classics are.

Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Probably shows how old we are getting too!
I havent seen the new Frasier, i liked the old one and dont want it to be tarnished byt he reboot like so many classics are.
I reckon I've seen the vast majority of the original Frasier episodes over the years. The chemistry between Frasier and his brother Miles is one of the best double acts since my beloved Laurel and Hardy imo.

Only very recently I bought the full box set, which I intend to start watching all over again.

And yes, I watched the first episode of the new Frasier and wasn't as taken with it, and haven't watched another since. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Miles features in the new revamped version, so the attraction has already fizzled out for me.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Frasier without Miles??? :WHOA:

What's next? Abbott without Costello? Laurel without Hardy? Moe and Larry without Curly? MFK without silly stocking questions?

The mind boggles!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Frasier without Miles??? :WHOA:

What's next? Abbott without Costello? Laurel without Hardy? Moe and Larry without Curly? MFK without silly stocking questions?

The mind boggles!
In my opinion it was Miles who made the show, not Frasier!

Going off the first episode I saw of the new Frasier it looks like they're trying to build a similar type chemistry between Frasier and the new guy who's in it, Nicholas Lyndhurst, and it ain't working!!

By the way, I mentioned a show called Only Fools and Horses recently, can't remember which thread. Well Nicholas Lyndhurst was the guy who played Rodney Trotter in that show, though it was a long time ago.

Del boy and Rodney were a great double act in Only Fools and Horses. Maybe the producers saw Nicholas Lyndhurst as a good side kick for Kelsey Grammer in the new Frasier.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Sometimes new stuff can surprise you.

I was a big fan of the original Star Trek series, in fact I was actually one of the fans who wrote to NBC clamouring for it to be renewed for a third season instead of cancelled. Before the comments start...I was 11 at the time. :) Back then, writing a letter meant actually applying a pen to paper, then sticking it into an envelope and mailing it...a Herculean task compared to emails or texts or tweets or burps or whatever the current thing is. :)

When The Next Generation came on the air, about 20 years later, I watched the first episode and commented to my not-yet-wife that it would never last, just didn't have the cast chemistry or the imagination of the original. Didn't like it at all.

By the time it ended after 7 seasons...I was thoroughly hooked, and although the series had definitely outlived its "best-before" date, I was a little saddened to see it go. I enjoyed it far more than I ever had the original, whose real appeal was in its nostalgic flavor; it was a taste of childhood. The newer version had expanded upon the whole Star Trek idea, in both good ways and bad, and was simply more watchable. Gene Roddenberry's unrealistically optimistic view of the future was still tough to swallow, but the presentation was entertaining. :)

So...maybe give Frasier a chance? It'll survive...or whither on the vine...on its own merits.

By the way...how do they explain Miles' absence? Killed off in a freak wine-tasting accident? Murdered by a prison cell-mate while serving a life-sentence? Defected to Marvel where he is now a supervillain? What gives? :)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
By the way...how do they explain Miles' absence?
Apparently David Hyde Pierce (Miles), didn't want to resurrect his old character that was last seen 20 years ago when the original Frasier ended. So that was that.

If he had been present I would have stuck to the new show like glue. Miles was absolutely hilarious. As it is, who knows, I might take your advice and give it a go.

Last edited:

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
I provide a major portion of my home heating with a wood stove, and have split my own firewood now for years. I typically buy my yearly firewood in rounds that are the correct length for easy use in my stove, and then split the rounds once or twice to get half- or quarter-rounds for burning. Manually splitting wood with an axe is one of the most relaxing and contemplative activities I have ever tried. It exercises the body, sharpens the aim and hand-eye coordination, calms the nerves, creates a useful end product and is, IMHO, as close to Zen fulfillment as I have come. :)

I have just over 100 acres that is at least 2/3 wooded, but I don't take much wood off it. The odd deadfall, a few storm-felled trees, sometimes a strategic tree here or there to create trails or whatever...but generally I like to leave my woods alone. When I do cut down a tree, or cut up one that fell by itself, I use a chainsaw. Efficient, fast...and noisy, stinky, intrusive and generally not the least bit fun. It's a chore, and not one I enjoy.

But a few weeks back, I tried something new: I felled a tree using only an axe. I didn't even own a chopper, just an assortment of splitting axes and mauls and a few smaller hatchets, but a friend gifted me with an old but very solid felling axe with the correct handle length for me so I had to try it. The experience was...sublime; totally unlike splitting, but with an incredible appeal.

It was obvious that I needed practice; there's much more to it than just flailing blindly around, so yesterday I put the new toy over my shoulder...viscerally satisfying in the same manner as slinging a rifle...and headed into the nearest wooded patch. I had a series of trees all marked for felling; they were starting to interfere with my internet signal from the nearby tower, so I wanted to clear an alleyway through the patch for an unobstructed clear reception.

A couple hours later I had five trees on the ground, was drenched in sweat...and was grinning from ear to ear. How on earth have I managed to miss out on this wonderful pastime all my life? Setting your feet, raising the axe and then swinging the weight forward as your hand slides into position...and then the indescribable satisfaction that accompanies the solid meaty thunk! of a perfect hit, followed a moment later by the wonderful spray of chips as you follow up with the next angled cut to clear away the now-exposed wedges of wood. I had to waste a lot of time clearing enough underbrush around the base of each tree to allow for a swing, and I was very cautious about having a clear escape path in case the tree did something unexpected. These are not massive trees, mostly poplars in the 10-12-inch diameter range, but I didn't want one on my foot...or my head...

No surprises, though. The fall begins very slowly, with an ominous cracking and creaking as the topple begins and then builds speed. By the fourth tree I was already beginning to plumb the mysteries of aiming the tree so that it falls in the direction you desire. The fifth and final tree for the day fell pretty close to where I wanted it to, taking out a dead snag that was targeted for removal. When the two came down together, I was elated...and then almost saddened by the knowledge that I wouldn't get to chop that one down! :)

There's no rush, I have another 30 or so trees to go, and I will do them at a comfortable pace, in nice weather only. After that, I will have very little call for the felling axe, typically 5 or 6 trees in a year's time...but, wow, I can hardly wait for those! :)

View attachment 1532721
You're not burning the wood you felled this winter, are you? My husband gets calls for hazardous tree removal--massive trees towering over houses and uses one of his lifts ranging from 35' to 100' to remove trees limb by limb. Recently he brought home "firewood" from a couple of jobs. The wood was full of pitch and burned well....burned well until the chimneys got plugged with creosote. Chimneys to be swept this morning. Seven cords of seasoned madrone/fir ordered for delivery this week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store