Female bettas..?

NickoT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2014
Dtown
Bettas are not easy to breed, do not keep males and females together in the same tank unless breeding.

In order to breed, they need a partially filled tank, the male makes a bubblenest, courts and breeds with the female. You then remove the female, leave the male until the fry are free swimming, then remove the male and rear the fry on microworms and vinegar eels for a few days, then BBS. The fry are not terribly hardy and can be tricky to raise, do anything wrong and you end up with no ventrals, bent rays, bent spines...

Reiterating again not to keep a male with females unless breeding.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Correct, I've done that method before with success. Guess i was just hoping for a "prettier" breeding tank.. it would be interesting to see how it actually goes down in nature..

Thanks for the help!!

Sent from my LG-L38C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Abby Ru

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2013
Minnesota
I agree with having a bunch of them in one tank to spread out aggression. I have also found that once and a great while.. you will get a female that is extremely more aggressive than the other females femalebettafish.org/how-many I have had to return certain females back to the fish store just because they wouldn't work in my community tank.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I used to breed bettas and I keep all my females together. You'll get a few nips here and there but nothing serious.

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
I tossed a male and four females into an abandoned fish pond for mosquito control. Before I knew it I saw free swimming babies. Each needed a small glass bowl. Eventually we had over thirty fish bowls, not including the few dozen that we were able to give away and had to just give up on trying to save the rest. There were several batches..I planted the pond and I still see a baby in there every now and then. I've just let nature take over. There seems to be many females in there...Males I don't often encounter. It seems that a new, dominant male pops up every now and then and thins the herd.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I tossed a male and four females into an abandoned fish pond for mosquito control. Before I knew it I saw free swimming babies. Each needed a small glass bowl. Eventually we had over thirty fish bowls, not including the few dozen that we were able to give away and had to just give up on trying to save the rest. There were several batches..I planted the pond and I still see a baby in there every now and then. I've just let nature take over. There seems to be many females in there...Males I don't often encounter. It seems that a new, dominant male pops up every now and then and thins the herd.
Can you post pics? That would be awesome if you could

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
Except that in the wild, oscars don't live in puddles. I do, however agree with you. The bowls were to grow out the babies in safety. My house looks like Sea World.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store