Female cichlid (5-6 mos approx), pregnant for 2 mos. But has not yet laid eggs yet...

kirin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2014
USA
Was hesitant to post this but getting irritated w/ my female fish already, so wth. My kirin/chilin's tube dropped a couple of times and been cleaning spots, intermittently, but hasn't laid eggs yet. The male on other side of divider is more than ready to spawn w/ her, even cleaned his side next to the divider, but all she does is fan her fins at him, doing the wiggle dance then swims away leaving him hanging.. then comes back again & does the same thing. Her vent tube drops then retracts and drops again but no eggs yet. I know she's def preg. Did everything on 'proper ways of breeding' i searched on the net. It's 2 mos. now (swear) & it's the same cycle. The male's waiting & I'm getting impatient & annoyed. Wouldn't the eggs rot inside her belly? Has anyone had the same issue before or now? Any tips/advice? Pls...thanks

Carpintis Keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
INDIA
you may give it a look without a divider,maybe the female needs male by her side and for egg bound,i don't think anything will happen to her

kirin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2014
USA
I've done many times but male so bigger than her she gets scared and plays dead in one corner. Male likes her though, she just gets scared. Right now, she's gotten fat andcan tell full of eggs but vent tube halfway out. One got impatient, tried to gently squeeze her belly but her vent tube turned pinkish and sore, I think--don't ever do that, because eggs WON'T come out. Now I replaced her with a new kamfa female with nice kok and transferred female kirin/kilin to another tank. I thought maybe some had the same issue before and would give some advice on how to stimulateba kirin cichlid to lay her eggs.

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
strippping the fish is the last thing you would want..........If a must then do it...........Just squeeze gently..........The eggs and sperm of the creature will shoot out onto the pan you are holding 2 inches of water in..................mix the two eggs/sperm with finger gently and wait for 10 minutes................then dump combo into a 10-55g tank with bubblers operating...............

kirin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2014
USA
I had a female short bodied pink convict that dropped the tube a few times but produced no eggs. I think some females are sterile like the males.
nooooo, please be not sterile :cry:. i have a plan for you kilin. nice color, possible kamfa fries (dreaming). sigh. tnx. still crossing fingers.

Carpintis Keeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
INDIA
can't say anything about sterility but don't know why i think she is not sterile,you should never ever squeeze a female,that case is just for goldfishes as their eggs are very small as compared to flowerhorn's eggs.Just be patient and if the male is not saying anything to her,then why don't u keep her with him,maybe he can woo her to lay eggs,who knows maybe his presence and mating dance can stimulate her and flood u with kamfas ;)

crush329

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
MO
I had a female short bodied pink convict that dropped the tube a few times but produced no eggs. I think some females are sterile like the males.
Females that don't lay eggs I wouldn't consider sterile... I would think she is just not comfortable enough with her environment to lay the eggs. Not saying you guess are doing something wrong... It's just that she doesn't feel comfortable. Or there might be something wrong going on inside that you can't see.

I have 2 female bp/carpintis hybrids that lay sterile eggs. I have let them both spawn multiple times with fertile males and their eggs just turn white. Now that is what I call sterile.

www.youtube.com/crushalot329

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store