Festae domestic violence...

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
festae seem to be odd like that wich concerns me. i have a few festae pairs. so far nothing as close to a death but i give many hiding spots so if the female needs to get away she can. in my 150 i have the nicest male and female ive ever seen. they are my pride n joy. i keep the closest eye on them the male is 14+ and the female is 10. they get along great. but i know they can snap at any moment. this is another reason festae is so rare. you may have a pair that produces 5 batches of fry and everything is going great. one morning youl wake up to a murdered something and be finished. and we all know how hard it is to reintroduce a large festae and have them just hit it off. just some of the ups n downs of keeping the terror. good luck to all festae keepers. it is deff a challenge sometimes
Exactly. The only guy I know of in our area just lost his female to the male, and then his male was killed when he tried to move it into a community tank. Such a shame, it was a gorgeous wild caught pair. JK47 has a dozen fry from them, hopefully he will get a pair or two out of them. I think it's kind of turned me off to them honestly.

surfpalmsncycads

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2010
whittier ca
id say 2 of my 4 pairs are 100 percent compatible and can last a life together. but since its festae i know the risk of keeping this awsome fish. i absolutely love the male and female festae. ill keep them as long as im in the hobby wich has been and im sure will be a very long time.

Calihawk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Exactly, its the Amphilophus in them. People always love to or push the subject of having pairs together by themselves alone. What are dither fishes for?

The thing is dither fish will get devoured in a pair tank...so seperated them with a divider to give the pair some "targets". Oh well, I hear the same thing about Jewels too. To each his own.

mike b

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2008
hamilton, ohio
I had the same problem with my motag pair they bred successfully about 10 or 12 times then one day I get home from work and hed beaten the crap out of her its been about 2 weeks and shes still hanging as long as he doesnt get through the divider Im sorry for your loss she was definitely a beautiful female

Gruff Master

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2009
St. Augustine, Fl
www.alexteralbury.com
Sorry you lost such a nice Festae. I had a male kill one female and nearly killed another female before I removed him. He was always pretty pushy but once the females were ready to spawn he became a complete monster. He killed other siblings when he was much younger and smaller too. It was hard to part with him because I had raised him and his siblings from juveniles. But i was tired of the high aggression and killings. I eventually sold all of them. They are one of my favorites so I'm taking the plunge again. This time I'll know what to expect and I'll have options if I need to separate one or two. I'll be glad to get a pair but if I only end up with one that can mix with other tankmates, I'll be happy with that too. Balton777 keeps Silver Dollars with his Festae pair. He also had Clown Loaches with them until he sold them recently. I don't know if he lost any SDs or CLs while they were with the Festae pair though. I've always seen them in the videos and pics that he posts. My Festae tolerated nothing at all!

Calihawk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Exactly, of ALL my pairs they'll show aggression to each other then go and attack all the dithers or other TARGETS. Keep some smaller fishes in breeder holders, I have the carry your pet container that I keep a small flowerhorn in, and my big flowerhorn works on that.

I have 2 other pairs in another tank, seperated by a transparent divider. They show aggression towards their mates then realizes theres other fishes, "potentially" dangerous to their frys and attacks the divider, so the 1 divider is doing the job for 2 different pairs.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I am noticing more and more aggression with my guy too lately. So much so that I am actually contemplating removing him from the comm tank. Hope you have better luck in the future.
Hmm that doesn't bode well for my plan of eventually introducing my male to a mixed community. Its a shame because he's a stunning looking fish, but just completely lacks the outgoing personality needed to justify keeping him as a solo specimen. Maybe some fast dithers like silver dollars or barbs would help encourage him out, I'd get to see him more if he was constantly chasing things around!

festae seem to be odd like that wich concerns me. i have a few festae pairs. so far nothing as close to a death but i give many hiding spots so if the female needs to get away she can. in my 150 i have the nicest male and female ive ever seen. they are my pride n joy. i keep the closest eye on them the male is 14+ and the female is 10. they get along great. but i know they can snap at any moment.
Do you leave the fry with the parents when they spawn? This was the first time I'd ever seen him being aggressive towards her, there was no prior warning. Would love to see some pics of the 14" male too!

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Hmm that doesn't bode well for my plan of eventually introducing my male to a mixed community. Its a shame because he's a stunning looking fish, but just completely lacks the outgoing personality needed to justify keeping him as a solo specimen. Maybe some fast dithers like silver dollars or barbs would help encourage him out, I'd get to see him more if he was constantly chasing things around!
I hear you there. My guy is not personable at all. In fact, I would not be stretching it if I said he was the least personable species I have ever kept. He may look the part but I agree that looks alone are not enough to warrant keeping a fish. Personality is a must for me, especially for solo tanks. Without personality and owner interaction you may as well just look at a picture mounted on the wall.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Without personality and owner interaction you may as well just look at a picture mounted on the wall.
Now there's an idea!! He's in a 5' tank by himself for now, maybe I'll just power-feed him for the next 6 months and then get him mounted!

SkidMark

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
in your mind's eye
green terra, is your jag personable and interactive with you in a tank that size? jags and festae are my two favorites.

calihawk, festae aren't classified as amphilophus any more, they've been thrown into the generic ex-cichlasoma category for now

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store