Few quick plywood build questions:

chriswf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2012
Texas
I might be buying my lumber today and starting my build.

*My first question is:
If I do exterior bracing with 2x4s - do I drill THROUGH the inside of the plywood into the 2x4s?
OR, do I build just a shell around the plywood tank, with NO screws going into the plywood? Sort of just butt it up against the plywood?
Unsure if the plywood sides needed to be fastened or not.

*My next question:
I'm probably going to build a cinder block tank stand. B/c it's cheap and mega easy. I'll buy a bunch of blocks :)
Do I put a piece of plywood over the top of the cinder blocks? Or can I set the frame of the bottom of the tank directly on top of the cinder blocks?

*Next question:
What are all the alternatives to exterior bracing - except for 2x4s?

chriswf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2012
Texas
Well see, this guy has minimal external framing:

Just 2 2x4s in the middle on the back, and a top and bottom brace with a WHOLE 'LOTTA Gorilla Glue.

My tank dimension will be:
Length: 84" (7ft)
Width: 40"
Height: 28".

Glass Dimensions:
24"x72"

Is that enough framing? Just 2 in the back to support it?
I mean I want framing, and I want overkill. I'll jump on the project as soon as I have it all figured out. Everyone does it soo differently.

I've also seen internal framing - which I wasn't too fond of.

chriswf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2012
Texas

See this guy drilled through the inside plywood - into exterior 2x4s. Is that okay?
Is it recommended NOT to do that?

Also, what do I fill the screw holes with? Just some epoxy or resin or something?

I'm using Pond Armor, I've already purchased 2 kits (it's a 2 part system, so it came with 4 containers).

deluther

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
Under Da Sea
disclaimer: Still in my first build, assume I know nothing

For water to get to and go through that hole it first has to reach the plywood. If water reaches the plywood, a screw hole is the least of your worries. If the tank is sealed properly, I can't see the screw hole making any difference. Fill the dimple and sand it flat before waterproofing so it doesn't show through the final finish.

chriswf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2012
Texas
Ugh, I just read some stupid article about impact tests on plywood - even with sealers on it.

I might just be fiberglassing the whole tank for F sake...

That or I can't have rocks in my tank - this guy nicked holes in his sealer by just hitting it with a screwdriver I believe.

I assume the cost of fiberglassing the entire interior would cost a bunch - so I might not be building any time soon.
And I have a LOT of time to burn building it - which is sad.

deluther

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
Under Da Sea
Ah, such is life. Either money but no time or time but no money. Murphy strikes again!

Don't get discouraged! You can always build a scaled down tank as a grow-out for now to save money and go big when your situation improves. You can use what you learn along the way and the big tank will be even better! Happy building

808_fairladyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Hilo, Hawaii
I built mine out of plywood, about 5 gal of marine grade polyester resin, fiberglass chop mat, no exterior bracing, & 1 gal sealer. Used alot of screws and wood glue. Aquarium dimension is 96"Lx34.5"Wx30"H.

My Xbox gamer tag: xXclusive808x. Run & gun baby!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store