FH eggs laid? Now what?

kageh124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2012
MD, DC Area
So, I ended up separating my female FH from my 225 because she was too aggressive and then put her into a 40 gallon breeder with my male FH with a divider. Both are only about 4 inches or so.... male is actually smaller. Nonetheless, she ended up laying eggs... what do I do? I'm honestly not even sure if the male cares. How would I know if the male will fertilize? I'm actually concerned that if I remove the divider she's going to pulverize him. haha.

kageh124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2012
MD, DC Area
Female is about a year and a half but I'm not sure about the male... I'm thinking about the same because I had the female since she was a little fry so I'm thinking I fed her a little better than the LFS.

DIRTY REDD

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2014
Maryland
Did she lay near the divider or off away from it? They usually show some interest in eachother. We have had a lot of storms and atmospheric pressure affects their breeding habits...

kageh124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2012
MD, DC Area
He laid them in the pot which is on the other side of the divider... but she did clear the substrate that was next to the divider.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Keep the divider in, if he laid them in the pot, then he is a she.
You will know soon enough if they are fertile, if they are stark white probably infertile, if they are cream colored probably fertile.
If they are infertile they will quickly fungus over.
If they are fertile, one of the parents will fan and mouth them until they hatch, then a parent will pile up the wrigglers in a pit until they are free swimming. They don't eat until free swimming, at that point you will need to start feeding proper fry food.

kageh124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2012
MD, DC Area
Sorry, I meant she laid them in the pot. It looks like the eggs are the cream color. Should I remove the divider so the male can get in? The male is slightly smaller so I'm not sure how he'll do.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I wouldn't let the male in, as long as everything is copacetic the way it is now, there are all kind of negative surprises that could occur if you did let him in.

ucantkillme89

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
Charles County, MD
www.youtube.com
I wouldn't let the male in, as long as everything is copacetic the way it is now, there are all kind of negative surprises that could occur if you did let him in.
Good advice man, I hope it all works out so I can buy fry from him hehehe.
We want pictures we want pictures!!!:nilly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store