FH on black sand oops

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
It's one of those freshwater plant backgrounds. This tank is just until I get his 90 gal set up, it's got colored decorations, it's the sand doing it :)
JPlikewoah;2292297; said:
to answer your questions, check out the thicky thread, 4 general tips you NEED to know.
JP
Yea, I read that but it didn't say WHY, it didn't say black sand would turn a FH black. I sort of do like the 2nd picture, like a FH color morph :) People use red/pink lights to make their FH's look red all the time when they're not red in reality so why not black? lol

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
Ok, I got him some HRT (?) pool filter sand at Ace Hardware that's almost white in color with beige flecks. He's now a 'real' Flowerhorn again with the right color again lol
What a difference substrate color makes.

Snake_Eyes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Nebraska
The fish in my avatar is on black gravel with a black background...no problems with coloring.

Mattyou

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Jax Fla.
Red's and Orange's such as SRT's / Parrots / Platinums / Flames always look good on black. Blue / Green pearly FH's usually get to dark and wash out the reds and pearls.

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
Mine seems to have pearls-that's the blue flecks all over him, right? Maybe that's why the difference is so drastic. You're right though, my Blood Parrots look awesome on their dark gray sand. I'm going to save the sand for whichever Carpinitis fry I end up keeping, I guess. The FH gets the glaring light-colored stuff :)

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
Andes, this is just my 1st Flowerhorn so I'm not much of a "FH girl" either. I don't like the ginormus heads (if that's a word lol) but I do like the colors, personality and hardiness that normally comes with being a hybrid. I do like the black color, too. I keep going back and forth on which one I like better :)

Snake_Eyes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Nebraska
TwistedPenguin;2298448; said:
Andes, this is just my 1st Flowerhorn so I'm not much of a "FH girl" either. I don't like the ginormus heads (if that's a word lol) but I do like the colors, personality and hardiness that normally comes with being a hybrid. I do like the black color, too. I keep going back and forth on which one I like better :)
I hear ya, I prefer the look of a hard head.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store