Fighting Corydoras

Corydoras

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Singapore
Even peaceful fish like Corydoras trillineatus fight among one another. I have seen a pair of my male C. trillineatus adopting sparring stance (fins erected with constant shaking and swaying of the body). Then one of the males will make a dart towards his opponent and vice versa. This kind of horrific phenomenon is seldom seen in peaceful fish. Fortunately non of the fish got hurt in the ordeal.

What could have triggered off such hostile behavior? Mate or meal?

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
Corydoras said:
Even peaceful fish like Corydoras trillineatus fight among one another. I have seen a pair of my male C. trillineatus adopting sparring stance (fins erected with constant shaking and swaying of the body). Then one of the males will make a dart towards his opponent and vice versa. This kind of horrific phenomenon is seldom seen in peaceful fish. Fortunately non of the fish got hurt in the ordeal.

What could have triggered off such hostile behavior? Mate or meal?

Its mostly from Mating..

How many males and females do you have?

Adding more females will dramatically effect the hostility.

Corydoras

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Singapore
You are right. I used to have 3 corydoras trillineatus during that time. Most probably there was only one female. Currently I have 3 clown loaches. This phenomenon took place again. Fortunately it didn't last long. Now my clown loaches are living in harmony. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store