Filament Barbs

marconi

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Very nice barbs Marconi. Never seen these type of barbs before. When I sold my 120 two weeks ago I had 3 diamond scale barbs about 3-4". Very nice looking and very active. Never seen those type of barbs before until my lfs got some in. Picked up 3 and kind of wish I would've kept those and gave the person who bought my tank my 3 5-7" Red tailed tinfoil barbs. If I see your I'm definitely going to pickup some for some dithers.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yeah...they are just awesome. I really hope to do a just barb tank in the future. Go 6 feet and watch them enjoy themselves :)

marconi

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Also glad to see yours also have them weird white spots on their heads as well. A couple of mine have them and I thought was white spot...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Males get those bumps when they are in breeding mode. Yours will get larger...once they get around 5 inches they slow down but kept long enough they could get 7 inches. I've had mine 5 years...they are big :)

Flying Fox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2010
Pine Mountain Club, CA
I have had a school of 13 of these wonderful barbs in my 250 gal. They are great, very active and the colors are amazing , especially the males in breeding mode. There is a pecking order in a school this big with a dominant male and sub dominant on down. You can always tell the dominant male because he will have the longest filaments off the dorsal. The shorter those filaments, the lower on the pecking order. In breeding mode, teh males get a dark emerald green top with a band of yellow on the lateral line, the bottom jaw and throat area will turn bright red and the "salt dusting" on the snout. They do get big, ranging from 5"-7". Mine are 7 years old now and starting to slow down. I have lost 5 in the last two years from age :-( and I am sure the rest will go pretty soon at this point. They breed about 3x a year or with a heavy water change. I am starting to collect the young as replacements when they age out.

marconi

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
Ontario, Canada

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
Nice barbs! I was looking to get some but couldn't find any. Definitely something I would like to add to my fish tank as dither/schooling group instead of bala sharks or tinfoil barbs.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store