Filter Dilemna

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I am currently running a 180g with 3 ac110s. I am really thinking of upgrading my filters and it is between going with a sump or eheim 2262. I used to have a fx5 and hated it. Got rid of it to go with the ac110s. The stock is 1 8in aimara. Some data points:

Sump
- I would only go overflow box and that would have to be lifereef. Unwilling to get second rate on this and skimp
- Lots of flexibility, easy to clean
- never had a sump
- I think these are a pain to move, and I will be moving in 1 - 2 years
- I will be upgrading in 1-2 years which means this sump is temporary and not sure how much I can resell the parts for
- Total cost about $500

Eheim
- True work horse, will be plenty of filtration and water movement (have a strong powerhead in the tank)
- Can do inline heaters
- Can probably easily sell for $150-200 in 2 years
- Easily to install and move
- Should be much easier to clean than the fx5
- Lower likelihood of leaks/mishaps here I think
- Can probably find this guy for around $400 or maybe less if I wait for a deal

My other option is to just stay with the 3 AC110s. They have plenty of bio for now and probably until I move anyway. I just wouldn't mind getting heaters out of the tank, only having 1 filter to clean, etc.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
If we are voting, I choose the Eheim 2262 of course. I have not done a sump though I know they are popular.

I also find the FX5 more of a pain to clean then my 2260/62 filters.

I would probably still keep at least one AC110 on the tank as I find they do remove a lot of debris, help with water movement and are a breeze to service/clean.

How about just running what you have until you find a good deal on an Eheim?

Reactions: pcfriedrich

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Big Al's is selling them for $379. I could probably get an inline heater and get rid of my two heaters in the tank.

I would probably keep at least one ac110. Use it for my peat moss, rid-x, and possibly pothos to help with nitrates.

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Sump with filter socks or poly floss and k1 fluidised bed. Only maintenance is rinsing socks or replacing polyfill, k1 media never needs cleaning.

Hate canisters, no matter what brand it is they still get full of crap and cant see them as being efficient as socks where you literally wash out all the crap every few days. Unless your happy opening canister regularly to clean it

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Well if you are moving soon I would say Eheim and deal with more beefy filtration when you upgrade tanks.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Sump. All day everyday. No harder to move a sump than an Eheim canister. and they're cheaper to build, too.

Sump will require some thought up front, and a little more time to install than a pump.

BUT....I have a 2262 on my 125, and I don't think I "clean it out" more than once or twice a year. Not like it's a lot of maintenance. It was expensive, though.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I have each of the filtration methods you have described currently running at my place right now. I do not see an Eheim being easier to clean than an FX5. Better, yes, easier to clean, no. Let's be real all canisters are a pain in the butt to cleab. The Eheim is a very well balanced piece of equipment so I would not go inline for heat (in general for anything larger than 75 gallons). It's a waste of electricity and far less efficient than being in the tank. Additionally the choke the flow of a canister which is important if this is your main filtration.

In your case I would suggest a sump. Socks, media and done. If you want more flow you switch pumps and be done. With canisters this is not an option without purchasing another. That out budgets most sumps quickly for little return on the initial investment.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I was revisiting this and it looks like it will cost me $500 to setup a sump. The only overflow I see myself using is a lifereef and unfortunately that will cost me $300 by itself (overflow + extra tube + shipping). The pump is another $100 and then used tank plus extra material such as PVC.

Really torn as to whether it is worth the $500 investment to upgrade my filtration when the 3 AC110s cover the bioload plus the tank will need to be upgraded in 2 years. Feels like I am almost throwing away $500.

Rawhidesabi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2016
North Olmsted, Ohio
I have recently setup my 265 with a fx4 and a sump and I will never buy a canister filter again, like ever.
In the closet I have
2x ac 110
2x emperor 400 bio wheels
Marineland 50g canister
Nat geo 30, and 55g canister filters
Sun sun 304 canister filter
Enough sponges and airline to filter a local pool
3 different uv sterilizers
And like 6 different internal underwater filters
All in all, they all suck.
I say this because as my desire to be lazy and change my water once every 2 weeks instead of every 1 week. Tired of checking my lvls to find my nitrates are .5 more than I want them to be and spending the next half hour truing to level out these numbers, it became too much of a pain.
The moment I switched to a sump that k made myself everything became easier. Easier to add chemicals when needed, balance ph, dechlorinate, soak driftwood, heat tank, water changes, clean media, change media, or the ability to literally pull the media out of the system while the water is running through it and rinse it out and stick it back in like nothing. My tank is big but if I want to go bigger I only need to adjust the rate of my flow or buy a bigger pump for it and not buy an entirely new canister filter rated for the size of the tank. If you run it right you won't hear your sump at all. (From time to time my overflow gurgles). They are a touch bigger than canister filters yes but it's not like you have to pick the thing up unless you relocate it. IF it's setup right it won't overflow or flood period. Hobs are blah and canister filters have a ton of downfalls but having one of them on the tank will give you the best of both worlds.
I will not run a tank without a sump ever again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store