FILTER?? My first tank build!

Janelle_P

Feeder Fish
Mar 25, 2016
I'm finally building my 380 gallon tank! Yay. I'm not sure on wether I want to buy a filter (sump? Canister?) or if it's a better option to make one. What filters do you use/prefer? And any links/thoughts on building one? Greatly appreciated!

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
I've run large canisters in the past. Few months ago switched to a new setup with a sump. I don't think I'd run any tank over 75 gallons without a sump now. Maintenance is much easier, they are more customizable, can hide equipment in the sump rather than in the main tank, and increases volume of water to the system. Also, I went with a DC pump that uses about half the wattage my Eheim 2262 did, but has much higher turnover rate.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I've run large canisters in the past. Few months ago switched to a new setup with a sump. I don't think I'd run any tank over 75 gallons without a sump now. Maintenance is much easier, they are more customizable, can hide equipment in the sump rather than in the main tank, and increases volume of water to the system. Also, I went with a DC pump that uses about half the wattage my Eheim 2262 did, but has much higher turnover rate.
Everything he said.
I just soldy 2262 and agree i will never go back to cans unless i had to
For a tank that large your gonna need multiple cans. Maintenance alone i'd do a sump

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Could not have said it any better!! Plus the amount of media you can add in a sump it is a no brainer. People make baffles and all sorts but a sump is just that to hold water. I would get a diy trickle tower filled with media of you choice and for pre filter filter floss and sponge. In the actual sump you can add whatever else you like.

My sump has baffles and all sorts but if I were to do it again I would do it like this

Only thing is I would run a 55 gallon tank or bigger for the sump. You have to make sure when in a power outage your diy over flow or drilled tank can hold the water that will flow in the sump.
Also plumbing and pump make a huge difference.

You can do it many different ways its just up to you how you want it setup. Easiest way is the first video. Keep it simple and it will go a long way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store