Filter recommendations please

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
As of now

2 discus (adding about 2 or 3 soon), blood parrot, EB JD, 2 angels, 2 red jewels, bichir, RB shark. May add a couple small plecos in the future.
I know this isnt what your asking but arent blood parrots kind of aggressive cichlids? May not be best for your tank stocking.

Is RB shark a red-tailed shark? These can be very aggressive to ALL bottom dwellers, but may not be an issue in that sized tank.

For bichirs id get 2 or more of any upper jaw species besides tuegsli, ornate, and moke.

I think red jewel cichlids are also aggressive as well not sure though, arent they african cichlids?

Some small plecos would be cool make sure you have some real wood in there most plecos appreciate wood.

For filtration I would also recommend a FX5/6 i have a fx5 on my 180 gallon with 2 55/75 gallon aqua-eon quiet flow filters.

Smithmode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
Washington
The stock is fine. Have had them together since feburary. Had an oscar and blue lobster to but I sold those.

rB shark= rainbow shark very similar to the red tail

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
That ,IMO is a disaster waiting to happen, that stocking isn't going to work long term....jewels &discus WONT WORK together

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Yea, im just most worried that your angels and discus may get picked on by the other inhabitants, but i guess if it works it works....

Smithmode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
Washington
It works to the surprise of many. My blood parrot thinks it's a discus and they all mostly hang out together. The jewels keep to themselves near the bottom most of the time as they are shy when movement comes around but they still come up when feeding time is near. My female angel doesn't like my parrot but they don't go at it to much just stare downs

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Why not an Aquatop? http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-filters/aquatop-cf-500uv-canister-filter.html
Use coupon code ECC10% and it is $112.46 and that includes shipping.

I would agree with others on the whole FX5/6 thing but more money than what you want to spend. I dont know the quality of the Aquatop but it is a big filter for pretty reasonable.
$ for $, Aquatop is one of the best bargains out there. I have one on a 125 gallons, going strong for 2 years and counting. Good flow, tons of media space.....

It is cheap but no issues with mine at all. Can't say the same for the more expensive Fluval 406.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I'll make sure to post new videos on YouTube and post pics for those that don't believe it will work ;)
it will work until the jewels mature , then it will turn bad , just letting you know

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store