Filter sock substitute?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Nothing really to contribute but millerkid519 millerkid519 check this out...

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
It's kind of hard to explain....for the short version, (and I won't bore you with the process) I eventually "stacked" them...one inside the other...but I have since, through trial and experimentation, eliminated the 100 and 50 microns from the process....my water just doesn't get that dirty anymore.
I tried a bunch of different experimental ideas and they all had successes and fails....but ultimately, a 300mic inside a 200mic has been the best and most practical. You start getting down to the 100-50-25 sizes and flow just doesn't gravity through. No you have to come up with a way to pump it through....and just an FYI....many people believe, as I once did, that the dark brown accumulation in the sock is fish waste....well, a very small amount is, but what really is clogging the sock is actually the bacteria colonizing the material...that what I have discovered.

Reactions: millerkid519

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Nice thread this may be a good option for the 620 gallon me and Dave are making. Not to jack the thread but we are trying to figure out of to mechanically filter over top of a 55 gallon drum

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store