Filtration for one Oscar

Is an aqua clear 110 enough for a single Oscar in a 75 gallon tank?

• Great

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Get by

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
I have a new 75 gallon tank. It's already cycled and is running an aquaclear 110. Is that filtration enough for just one full grown Oscar? And maybe (that's a big maybe) just one other cichlid that can go with an Oscar. I've seen in a lot of posts people suggest keeping a lot more filtration but I don't understand. Aquaclear 110 is rated for 110 gallons. I only have a 75 gallon and even that is not going to be fully stocked. Im only planning on having one or two fish. Yeah I know oscars are messy fish but is 110 gallon filter seriously not enough? Please help. And suggestions for the second cichlids will be appreciated.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
A lot of people swear by the 110, you could maybe add more flow i guess; or an internal filter to bump it up. In all likelihood as long as your water changes are large and frequent you'll be fine.

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
This is a long shot but what about 5 red bellies. I would ask about 3 only but I know they like being in larger groups

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I agree that water changes with your current filter can work. Oscars can be messy easters so try to keep the extra bits of uneaten food cleaned up. I like to have snails in my tanks to help with this. If you do not want ths types of snail that wil reproduce, there are nitrite (my spelling?) that do not reproduce in fresh water.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
All manufacturers will always inflate their products potential, its just part of marketing. While the AC110 is rated for 110 gallons, it doesn't indicate what the stocking level of that 100 gallon actually consisted of. Did AC tested this with 110 gallons stocked with a dozen neon tetras, or was it 110 gallons stocked with a pair of adult Oscars? Chances are, it was tested with a very light stocked tank.

If you plan to stay with an Oscar in a 75, and the Oscar is under 6 inches, then anAC110 would be adequate. Once it gets above 6in, you should add another filter.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
This is a long shot but what about 5 red bellies. I would ask about 3 only but I know they like being in larger groups
Red belly? Piranha? If that's with an Oscar, then it'll get eaten of course; don't know about piranhas on their own.

Hello; I agree that water changes with your current filter can work. Oscars can be messy easters so try to keep the extra bits of uneaten food cleaned up. I like to have snails in my tanks to help with this. If you do not want ths types of snail that wil reproduce, there are nitrite (my spelling?) that do not reproduce in fresh water.
Nerite I believe :)

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
No red bellies not with piranha just on their own.
Okay if an Aquaclear 110 is not enough for an Oscar what about pair of green terrors? Or any large cichlid (no red devil please)

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
How about electric blue acaras or Jack Dempseys or severums?

Reactions: Sizzy905

Sizzy905

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
How about electric blue acaras or Jack Dempseys or severums?
So how many of each of those can I keep? Or if I keep a combination of those what would you suggest? Thanks for everyone's help btw much appreciated. This is my first larger tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store