Filtration for Stingray keeping?

Miks786

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
Hey MFK
Need some advice please.

What is the best filtration for keeping stingrays?
What do you run on your stingray tanks?
What Bio media you keep in the filters?

My newly acquired ray is in my 350 gallon tank,which has a built-in internal filter and i also have a Dolphin C1600 canister filter running on it as well.I do 20% water changes every second day to keep the water clean and good..

I was also thinking about changing(renewing) some on the Bio media in the internal filter, What would be the best Bio media to keep the tank clean and keep the nitrites,ammonia and nitrates
low?

TIA :)

Vandyfan13

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2016
Tennessee
Hey MFK
Need some advice please.

What is the best filtration for keeping stingrays?
What do you run on your stingray tanks?
What Bio media you keep in the filters?

My newly acquired ray is in my 350 gallon tank,which has a built-in internal filter and i also have a Dolphin C1600 canister filter running on it as well.I do 20% water changes every second day to keep the water clean and good..

I was also thinking about changing(renewing) some on the Bio media in the internal filter, What would be the best Bio media to keep the tank clean and keep the nitrites,ammonia and nitrates
low?

TIA :)
What I have seen used a lot and am personally using is a k1 reactor and filter floss for the mechanical side of it . Plus water changes 20% weekly or more .This of course is when I get my aquarium sealed correctly :rolleyes:

Reactions: Miks786

Miks786

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
I personally would ditch the canister and add a sump if you can and stuff it k1 media and a drip system. makes maintenance so much easier with rays
I am planning to use a sump soon...But not on this tank...It will be on 600 gallon tank when i buy the new house..

Was thinking for now on the current tank what would be best

Reactions: Vandyfan13

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I am planning to use a sump soon...But not on this tank...It will be on 600 gallon tank when i buy the new house..

What Scoot123 Scoot123 mentioned would be the best for ur current and future tank +/- a drip system.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
We understand the position regarding a sump for this tank. That’s the thing, people are answering your question though. Canisters and rays aren’t great long term. Tons of maintenance, swings in water chemistry, less effective turn over ratio to bio ratio etc. A sump and K1 is 80% of the feedback one would receive so feedback is limited on canisters.

If you are happy with your water perimeters and the fish are happy and healthy then it’s a moot point. Just know that the smaller the tank dilution wise, the more critical proper filtration becomes.

Vandyfan13

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2016
Tennessee
We understand the position regarding a sump for this tank. That’s the thing, people are answering your question though. Canisters and rays aren’t great long term. Tons of maintenance, swings in water chemistry, less effective turn over ratio to bio ratio etc. A sump and K1 is 80% of the feedback one would receive so feedback is limited on canisters.

If you are happy with your water perimeters and the fish are happy and healthy then it’s a moot point. Just know that the smaller the tank dilution wise, the more critical proper filtration becomes.
Keep it simple .If it works it works

Reactions: JK47

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
Did anybody say sump? Lol. Keep all current filtration and and add a sump. Never too much w Ray's. K1, bioballs, ceramic, anything. I wouldn't worry about a bigger tank till I put a sump on the current personally. But as was said, "if the fish r happy..." Best wishes either way.

Reactions: Miks786
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store