Final Tank Setup

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hey y'all! I have some great news! I finally came up with an appropriate stock that I love. Here it is:

2 EBAs, 7 Buenos Aires Tetras, 1 Striped Raphael catfish, 4 Brochis Cory catfish, and 1 Bristlenose Pleco. In total, 15 fish.

I know it is a dramatic change, but I've been thinking about this and done a ton of research on it, and it's what I've wanted. This setup is reminiscent of one of my oldest (and favorite) setups, which was 4 Angelfish, 1 Striped Raph, 1 Green Phantom pleco, 6 corys (3 Schwartz and 3 Emerald), and a black molly. In total, 13 fish. Here is a picture of the old setup:

Old Angelfish Setup.JPG

Here are some pictures of the new setup:

New Tetras.jpg

New EBA baby.jpg

New Cory and Pleco.jpg
New Tank Setup Full .jpg

I think these fish work well together color and disposition-wise. They provide much more color than many of my previous setups. I only have two neutral/dull-colored fish now (the bristle nose and the raph), lol.

Next weekend at the expo, I intend to get a few more Buenos Aires tetras (like 3-5 more, depending on price) to create a larger school and some new decor. I won't mess with my tank any further other than a cleaning before more new fish closer to the end of next week.

Old Angelfish Setup.JPG

New Tetras.jpg

New EBA baby.jpg

New Cory and Pleco.jpg

New Tank Setup Full .jpg

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I just realized the pictures repeated lol. I'm sorry about that. Ignore those extras lol

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Sounds like a great stocking for the tank!
My only suggestion is a nice big log or rock in the center to sort of fill up the scape.
It would still provide plenty of swimming room but look much more full.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Sounds like a great stocking for the tank!
My only suggestion is a nice big log or rock in the center to sort of fill up the scape.
It would still provide plenty of swimming room but look much more full.
Thank you! I'm very proud and satisfied with the stocking of the tank. I intend to get a large piece of driftwood to fill the space.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Looks good mate.
You going to try live plants? I'd give val a go. Grows really well in sand, better than gravel IME.
Nice brochis. I need to get into cories.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Looks good mate.
You going to try live plants? I'd give val a go. Grows really well in sand, better than gravel IME.
Nice brochis. I need to get into cories.
Idk, I may do it. I was considering live plants earlier. If I get live plants, I want ones that will be highly successful in my tank such as the val you suggested.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Idk, I may do it. I was considering live plants earlier. If I get live plants, I want ones that will be highly successful in my tank such as the val you suggested.
Val, Anubias, hornwort, and duckweed are all practically indestructible.
Buenos Aires may turn on plants, but all of those plants tend to do well with herbivores.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Val, Anubias, hornwort, and duckweed are all practically indestructible.
Buenos Aires may turn on plants, but all of those plants tend to do well with herbivores.
If your water is right add java fern to the list. Can be a total miss in some areas.
Anubias can also be piss poor if you don't have enough food, but it is basically bulletproof to fish destruction
Don't add duckweed to a tank unless you want it there forever, and would like to have hands coated in duckweed everytime you service the tank.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
If your water is right add java fern to the list. Can be a total miss in some areas.
Anubias can also be piss poor if you don't have enough food, but it is basically bulletproof to fish destruction
Don't add duckweed to a tank unless you want it there forever, and would like to have hands coated in duckweed everytime you service the tank.
I agree with you on the Anubias, though somehow mine bloomed once, lol. It didn't last that long. Eventually, it just died, and I had to throw it out.

Would Cabomba work? I like the feathery look of it. I've seen people have it as a giant floating plant and I thought that would be cool. It would provide dimmer conditions that my fish would prefer and also get a ton of light for the plant itself.
I've also tried Java Fern, which died quickly, and Amazon Sword...and many more. We shall not talk of those...erm...little happy mistakes. :hitting: I also had some red root floaters, which were cool but a pain. The filter would always make them bob all the way to the bottom and get caught on various decor. To keep them alive, I had to constantly pry them out of my decor, *sigh* those were fun days lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matth05 and Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Javas never really took off for me - they don’t die but never grow well.
I’m a fan of giant duckweed- not as messy as the small stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store