FINALLY I'm DONE

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
I may be wrong but the ceramic rings are underutilized by 2-3 orders of magnitude when looking at the pics. The water needs to go through them or at least over them distributed in a thin layer. No (poor) water flow = no oxygen = no bacteria = no filtration.
But the rings r surrounding the pump. Isnt water beong suck/flow towards the pump?

But the rings r surrounding the pump, isnt water flow

Reactions: McPhish and ATF

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
But the rings r surrounding the pump. Isnt water beong suck/flow towards the pump?

But the rings r surrounding the pump, isnt water flow
If you assume it will take water with the least resistance it will pull water from above as opposed to pulling it through the media. That said I'm not sure it's entirely ineffective that way. A powerhead in there would be an inexpensive peace of mind, but it adds on to the monthly bill.

Tig Phish

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2015
Deez Nutz
So
1. Pot scrubbies need to b fully submerge or else mold formation. Correct? I guess i can use egg crate n sandwich the scrubbies to the bottom of the tank.

2. Ineffective flow? So if I put a wave maker in there were set? Wave/flow maker on the bottom pointwd toqards the rings?

Reactions: McPhish and ATF

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Anything to force exposure, give the water nowhere else to go. Baffles help with this, powerheads will force air and water through the media, and I like to build a wall out of media that forces water between all the gaps. In your case I imagine weighing down the scrubbers and building a media wall would be more effective, but a power head would force the scrubbies to flip and turn keeping them clean and from having one side air exposed 100% of the time. (which is the mold concern) Similar to a bed filter is how I envision it.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It's hard to put it in quantitative terms but the water is barely going through that pile of rings, the flow decreases probably super-exponentially with each layer. Crudely, I'd think anything below 3rd-4th layer is wasted.

There are many ways to change this, baffles being one of them. Simply directing a powerhead at a pile of rings won't do much because the flow inside the pile won't be affected. As Relic states, I'd think rings work the best in the bed or trickle fashion, IIRC they were designed for canister media. At least thinly spread, they'd be far better utilized than in a pile.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I would weight those sponges down and completely submerge them, they can grow mold the way you have them half-exposed......and that would not be a very good thing.
Hey, Frank, is this your experience? If so, can you please elaborate, for my sake if anything. I've never come across this. If not your experience, please, cite where you read it.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Are you going to add a substrate and some decorations?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
seems to me it be easy to use the egg crate to make a simple UG flow happening on the noodles,cut strips and glue them around the edges of a full sheet to raise it up about 2 or 3" , cover with screen, even if you just put a few air wands underneath it, it would increase your water flow through the noodles a great deal.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Hey, Frank, is this your experience? If so, can you please elaborate, for my sake if anything. I've never come across this. If not your experience, please, cite where you read it.
nah, just seemed like common sense to me. Another one of those risks I wouldn't wait around to find out if it is. Sponges always grow mold....I don't understand what would keep those from doing it too. Mold = bad for your lungs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store