finally one of you!!!!! pics of new gar

jerzyperson

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Indiana
read that same old stuff, gars aren't something that people on here take lightly, i think that most the aggression on this website come from people who can't treat aros properly and then the gar obsessors. listen to them as they can only truly help you, they tell you to research, RESEARCH!! nothing more explanitory to say about that.

Gar are very delicate fish and need the utmost care as they have very delicate snouts, backs and all around lives. treat them like gold my friend or you might as well stick to coal... (coal are normal cichlids if you didn't catch that)

Crazyfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
BC, Canada
Nice Florida Gars. Use one of these rods and hand feed your Gars from preventing your cichlids on stealing their food. I had my Gator for 1 week and none of my tankmates bother him and after he takes food from my rod I use the rod to scare anyone who tries to steal their food. Its a hassle but it must be done for your Gars to survive. Anyways GL with your Gars.

Can pick one these up either at a pet shop or u can find them at the dollar store.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
jerzyperson;3899539; said:
read that same old stuff, gars aren't something that people on here take lightly, i think that most the aggression on this website come from people who can't treat aros properly and then the gar obsessors.
Hey!! Us "gar obsessors" are number 1!! not after the aro people:irked:

knuckles04

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2010
malaysia
florida gars.
I got one and i thought it was long nose gar.. and then i check I thought again it was aligator gar..

and then I confirmed again.. it's florida gar

SDC11279.JPG

SDC11514.JPG

SDC11529.JPG

SDC13479.JPG

FishPrincess

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2009
NYC /Orlando FL
yep FL Gars, their very pretty. I suggest its better to keep the Gars just with their own species. the last thing you need is to have the other tankmates do harm to them. Alot of the members here get the same questions on a constant basis so their naturally going to react in a way- not so pleasing especially to newbies. However they did paste some information in the stickies (on the top of the main topics) which can be useful to you as you enter the Gar world.

Many members keep the Gars here on a varied diet from Market shrimps,insects, fish fillet, smelt, pellets, freesze dried krill, Frozen tilapia, to Livebearers (Minnows- which are usually bred than store bought) and earthworms. Its best to keep their diets varied as to keep them healthy and interested.

I also have 2 FL Gars and i love them so much. As for feeding schedules- they usually are fed once a day for 3 or 4 days of food with a few days in between

Take care and please keep us updated on your Gars progess.

Motoxs3th

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2010
Seatown
cool garmama ill try some new foods. yeah they dont seem to eat alot. good info

andrewt224

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2010
pa
hello i was looking at your pic. very nice by the way! i was wondering how those fish are doing together now. i have a 8-9 inch oscar and i just got a needle nose gar and what i believe to be a flordia gar a few weeks ago. they seem to be doing fine so far. i was just wondering how your fish are doing. thanks!!!

Motoxs3th

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2010
Seatown
andrewt224;3903672; said:
hello i was looking at your pic. very nice by the way! i was wondering how those fish are doing together now. i have a 8-9 inch oscar and i just got a needle nose gar and what i believe to be a flordia gar a few weeks ago. they seem to be doing fine so far. i was just wondering how your fish are doing. thanks!!!
no problems so far but havent had them long enough to tell for sure.
the only reason why i tried this is because i chose fish that show no aggression towards anything that are good tank mates. they are both over a foot and i have a 2" firemouth in there tank to see what happens. so far theyll eat feeders but not the firemouth. trial and error is what its all about.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store