Nov 7, 2022
Norway
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
51-60%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hello.

First time posting here. I picked up a fire eel (16inches) a little over a week ago. While the previous owner was cathing the eel it jumped out of the tank and got trapped under the aquarium stand. This caused a lot of stress (white eyes etc.) I decided to medicate the eel once i got home using JBL baktopur direct doing water changes every other day. A week passed and the eel was looking very nice and healthy. That was until yesterday when i saw a white patch on its tail. I have read that eels can be sensitive to medications but was wondering if there is anything i can do other than keeping up with water changes. Its sharing a QT tank with a bichir currently.

Any information appreciated. Thanks

20221107_181845.jpg

20221107_181836.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d leave for a while and see if it heals on its own. Make sure the eel is eating and clean water is provided. If it’s getting worse then consider meds. If from jumping out of the tank then it should heal. Doesn’t look too bad. Looks very superficial. Update as it goes.

KEVRANO

Feeder Fish
Nov 7, 2022
Norway
I’d leave for a while and see if it heals on its own. Make sure the eel is eating and clean water is provided. If it’s getting worse then consider meds. If from jumping out of the tank then it should heal. Doesn’t look too bad. Looks very superficial. Update as it goes.
Thanks for the input. My eel has not eaten anything since i got him..

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks for the input. My eel has not eaten anything since i got him..
Might be still settling in. What was it eating before? Try some live earthworms.

KEVRANO

Feeder Fish
Nov 7, 2022
Norway
Might be still settling in. What was it eating before? Try some live earthworms.
It was eating bloodworms at the previous owners place. Woke up today to my eel looking way worse.. any recommendations for what medication to use? I will attach some pictures

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d try some triple sulfa if it’s getting worse.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store