Drizzt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2006
Central California
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
So this guy got out of the tank a few days ago and was probably out a few hours before I found him and put him back in. Yesterday I noticed the white patches and the end of his tail seems to be rotting off and is covered in a white fuzz. I added aquarium salt, can I use API Fin & Body Cure (it's the only medication I can get at the moment since I only have a Petsmart nearby)? Should I increase the temperature as well? 20201027_083935.jpg

Zack cloutier

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2015
Massachusetts
It’s hard to say for me from the picture but it could just take some time for the slime coat to recover. It also could be some sort of infection from being exposed out of the water with its slime coat compromised.
I’d also like to suggest that you cover your heater. From my experience my tire track would get heater burns quite often until I covered it with pvc.

Drizzt

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2006
Central California
It’s hard to say for me from the picture but it could just take some time for the slime coat to recover. It also could be some sort of infection from being exposed out of the water with its slime coat compromised.
I’d also like to suggest that you cover your heater. From my experience my tire track would get heater burns quite often until I covered it with pvc.
Here are a couple of pictures of his tail. I'll make sure to cover the heater. Should I just wait and see if it gets better? I added the salt last night.

20201027_091211.jpg20201027_091205.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Make sure it’s eating and it should recover. Increase ur water changes too.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store