fire eel in quarantine

Onyx4476

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
south east michigan
www.sandjplumbingmi.com
I recently purchased a 14” fire eel. It has been in quarantine for about 2 weeks. Still will not eat, and has a small fleshy growth on the base of the pectoral fin. Not sure what i should do. i water test every day (always 0) i do water changes with prime 2 times per week. the tank is 60 gallons. I try to feed night crawlers, cut up frozen shrimp from kroger, blood worms, and carnivore pellets.

381EBFAB-BF80-43D2-AED0-9D1C5C236707.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like a growth of some kind. I’d keep the water changes going but reduce to once daily if water parameters allow. Eventually it should eat.

Reactions: tlindsey

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
It could be lymphocystis…nothing dangerous but it comes and goes and there’s no cure. Probably flared up from shipping stress? Could be contagious if another fish has an open wound and somehow comes in contact with the growth….unlikely.

Reactions: kno4te

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
He would appreciate a longer narrower pvc pipe. Then try dropping an earthworm or cooked mussel near the entrance.
good that his condition is cleared up.
you may need to keep trying different feeds, at 14” if he was not fed a varied diet before he may have one food he “likes” or rather has always been used to. With mine it was cooked mussels and they would not accept anything else for a long time. Have to admit the moving earth worms always made them give in, good luck.

Onyx4476

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2023
south east michigan
www.sandjplumbingmi.com
He would appreciate a longer narrower pvc pipe. Then try dropping an earthworm or cooked mussel near the entrance.
good that his condition is cleared up.
you may need to keep trying different feeds, at 14” if he was not fed a varied diet before he may have one food he “likes” or rather has always been used to. With mine it was cooked mussels and they would not accept anything else for a long time. Have to admit the moving earth worms always made them give in, good luck.
i drop in night crawlers, frozen shrimp from kroger, and carnivore pellets every day. there are small fish in there as well. i will try the mussels next.

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store