Fire eel not growing

vanman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2011
Woodinville WA
What are the water parameters? lighting? size of tank and is it with other fish? If so what are they? How big is it currently?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
what he said.. and try nightcrawlers or live blackworms... bloodworms aren't nutritiouse enough to sustane spiney eels long-term. They just aren't.

Sarertnoc Kram

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2012
Las Vegas
75 gallon
Clown loach x3
Tiger barb x9
Clown pleco 1
Red tailed black shark 1
Black ghost knife 1
3 fluval cans running and a sponge filter about 3-4 pounds of biomax rings 2-3 cups of ammonia remover 1-2 cup of carbon and and a cup of salt with every water change will test the parameters when I get home I just bought a hikari flat pack of frozen brine shrimp

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

vanman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2011
Woodinville WA
The water parameters? But I can see a main problem. The fire eel is a very passive fish that actually feeds very secretively in nature. All of your stock is lively and or semi aggressive. The eel will loose out, too much confusion and antics. Fire eels are most happy all by themselves in a 75 gallon tank with good filtration but not major water movement. Some fire eels will put up well with monster fish as they generally do not scavenge at all, leaving plenty for the eel. but this is more rare then not. fire eels also reach 30 + inches easily in a tank with a large girth. You might look at The Wet Spot" tropical fish ' in Portland Oregon website. They have a large one that is stunning. It is in a corner 90 gallon tank usually by itself. They also have really great advice. These spiny eels also like soft acid clean dark water, this is why we need to know your water parameters.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I actually agree with most of what Eric says.. except i found they prefer well aerated water, and in general a standard water flow is just fine.. Mine will actually jump up into my HOB filter to get better aeration if the filter starst to clog up. I agree thought that your main problem is that your keeping one of ime the most docile fish with some very aggressive coparitively tank-mates. I keep my baby atm in a planted community includeing some clown-loaches, blue rams, glo-light tetras, albino cory cats, and a starry night eel ( not reccomeneded and the tank is for the juvi fire to get large enough to go with some larger tank-mates who atm might harass him to much) My last fire eels outgrew a 75 in under 2yrs.

You may also want to look at cutting back or out the salt. none of your fish are brackish.. and while salt is great in inhibiting negative bacterial growth ect I also found it tends to "stunt" biological bacteria media growth. this may also be causeing an issue. you also didn't mention how often or how much water your removing when doing water changes, this can make a significant difference in fish as well. nitrates over 20ppm can also cause negative effects to fish... lol as you see the list can be long of what could be done to either improve or stunt fish.

I would say at 7-8" though to try adding nightcrawlers to his diet or soak a sinking pellet like massivore in the bloodworms when you defrost them and let them soak up some of the skunkyness that is so attractive to your eel and see if he'll take the pellets, spineys taking pellets is uncommon but def worth the effort if you can get them to start takeing.

Maor0

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2011
Israel
My fire eel lives with an oscar a gar 2 bichirs a clown knife and a sun catfish
i make sure that after i feed them all i turn off the light and put tettra bits just for him
he love them.. but he only comes out to feed at night...eat the monsters left overs and the tettra bits i give him
bare bottom tank with only a cave for the eel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store