Fire Eel problems.

samtoney45

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2021
Hello all, yesterday I obtained a baby (its about 3 inches,) Fire Eel. It has not eaten yet. I understand that it probably is exceptionally stressed about the move. I'm planning on buying some bloodworms for it today and feeding some to him at night. Would this be wise?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Can try the bloodworms but try to make sure it’s gets on a varied diet.

Reactions: 1 2many and Rocksor

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Bloodworms is a good way to get it eating, which is really important for new fish. I would also add other types of food like cut up silversides or fillet pieces. The key is that the food offered should be easily swallowed.

Also, keep the tank lights above the tank off. Having it dimmer in the tank will make it feel more secure about venturing out during the day time.

Reactions: 1 2many

1 2many

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2021
New Jersey
Bloodworms are good to start with but don’t offer them exclusively. Provide other options like flakes, spirulina brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, and plankton. Also provide plenty of cover/hides for it to feel secure.

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
I mixed bloodworms with mysis shrimp and brine shrimp when mine was that size. Have fun!

samtoney45

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2021
Bloodworms is a good way to get it eating, which is really important for new fish. I would also add other types of food like cut up silversides or fillet pieces. The key is that the food offered should be easily swallowed.

Also, keep the tank lights above the tank off. Having it dimmer in the tank will make it feel more secure about venturing out during the day time.
I worry that when I go to feed it later tonight, all the other fish will eat the food before the bichir can get any, is there any solution to this?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I worry that when I go to feed it later tonight, all the other fish will eat the food before the bichir can get any, is there any solution to this?
Use a hollow pipe like PVC to direct the BW to the eel. Basically the BW sinks and lands in front of the eel's face.

Last edited:

samtoney45

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2021
Use a hollow pipe like PVC to direct the BW to the bichir. Basically the BW sinks and lands in front of the bichir's face.
Thanks, great idea. I know I ask a lot of questions, but I suppose I should wait for it to be visible outside, shouldn't I.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Thanks, great idea. I know I ask a lot of questions, but I suppose I should wait for it to be visible outside, shouldn't I.
If it's in a cave, drop it in front of the cave opening. Basically, just try to get it as close to the eel as possible. They have a good sense of smell

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store