Happy Holidays/ Merry Christmas 2009

Twicksisted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2007
London, UK
www.myspace.com
The Flizzle;3670994; said:
Thanks for the info. I would never buy a fish if I were not able to care for it properly. I was asking in the hope that my current setup would be sufficient for the eel. I was reading about the peacock eel and I found that it is "aggressive." Is it the type of eel that I wouldnt be able to put my hand in the tank and clean, or aggressive towards other smaller fish?

My tank is 150G and my fire-eel will be fine in there for life (though due to my stocklist im going bigger)... they are only really active when searching for food and get hungry for a powerfeed about once every two days or so.... obviously they interested in some worms everyday unless to totally stuff him with loads but besides that they tend to sleep a lot and lurk in their shelter with only their noses poking out ;)

Other than that they stick in their hiding place... (which when theyre over 2ft long isnt very well hidden) and they interact with you nicely (looking for food i guess).

You could definately get away with a 125G tank (people keep them in 5ft jewel tanks for life)... but id go for something bigger where it has more freedom... also the discus are a bit fragile and gentle for him as when hes big he goes where he wants and can make a bit of a commotion... when young yeah its a very small fish thats not really gonna upset the peacefull vibe of the discus tank.

Having said all this... my fire eel is the most awesome fish ive owned in 20 years of fishkeeping... and ive had loads of big personality cichlids... hes a fantastic pet and they are quite something to look at when they hit 20"+

The Flizzle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2009
Powell, Ohio
Thanks to everyone for the advice. The main reason for being unable to upgrade the size of my tank is I built it into the wall and the wall is not beg enough for anything larger. I will be doing some more research before I decide what to get. Perhaps I will pull the trigger on another large tank for my house and put one in there =) Time will tell. If anyone has more thoughts I would love to hear them.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
like others have said, you could always try a smaller species of spiny eel, in terms of behavior they are mostly similar

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store