Feeder Fish
Nov 19, 2023
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hey guys, I have some questions about my fire eel. I can’t tell if there is something wrong with him, or that is just how fire eels act. Basically, I have noticed him laying on his side, laying sideways on branches, and swimming funny sometimes. What’s strange is that sometimes we will act completely normal too. I got him recently from my LFS (A very high end place that takes really good care of their fish), and later one day I noticed him floating at the top of the tank. All of my other fish were fine. I moved him to a smaller tank where I kept him for a few days, (Unsure if it was something to do with the water) and he still layed on side or straight up at times but he started to act more normal. I then added a bubbler and PVC pipe for the eel into my big tank and moved the eel back. He instantly went into the PVC pipe. But a week later, he is just laying on his side again randomly. Is this normal behavior? Also, I haven’t seen him eat yet, which is concerning. I feed Pellets, Blood Worms, and Krill. I even put some in front of his face when he was in the small tank and shut the lights off. I’m not sure, but he must be eating if he’s still alive. I’m still concerned though… Thank you for your help! :)

image.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’ve not had fire eels. But I’ve kept a small few eels that did similar. Ate fine and water was good just finally came to conclusion it’s just normal for that eel. Think if it’s eating and putting on size then I’d just watch for now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store