FireMedic's hydroponics idea - success fail stories

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
pounder;4885226; said:
intresting anybody got pics of the plant?
Here's a picture from Google of basically what mine looked like when I first got it at Lowes I believe. I was in a little hanging basket and I just took it out, washed all the dirt off the roots, soaked it in a bucket for a couple days in case there were any sorts of ferts or anything still on them that could pollute the tank. I don't have any in-tank pictures, but I could get some

wonword

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2008
St. Paul, MN
This is a few months after putting them in my tank, now they are alot healthier and huge! I myself did not use existing roots like andyjs, just cut off some vines and stuck em in the tank. I will try and get an updated picture soon.

Energy

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Tropical Minnesota
I have an alligator gar that I've kept for 27 years. The ONLY filtration I used for most of that time was a an aquatic plant called "duckweed". As the plants spread I would harvest out the excess. It is an extremely fast growing plant and works the same as Pothos but can be removed without harming the main colony.

Most of the filtration on my 1700 gallon system is done with plants. They remove ammonia,nitrite and nitrate. Plants complete the entire biological cycle.

Glad firemedic gave it some well deserved attention.

ajsmith235

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2010
Southern Indiana
Indeed.... I use Pothos as well... and its nothing but helped my filtration! sounds good every1, and any1 and every1 should do it. just helping the biological filtration. all the credit goes to Firemedic for bringing this to every1's attention

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
Here's a pic I just took of some of the in-tank portions of my pothos. I wasn't sure how the actual leaves would do underwater, but it continues to produce new leaves as long as part of the plant is exposed to air

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Few pics of the sump on my 6x3' juvie ray tank. Roots seem to grow pretty quick.

I actually had one branch find it's way out of the filter and wrap up overtop the lids and find the light, then grow around it.

100_1950.JPG

100_1946.JPG

sea7ray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2010
Liverpool
I'm looking to do something simlilar in my fishouse when i finally move in/get the money. I know Chester Zoo in the UK use Cyperus on all their FW tanks and that works well. I also got some advice from Tropica (tropica.dk if you've not heard of them) to use Cyperus helferi – or Lobelia cardinalis, Hygrophila-types, Shinnersia

sea7ray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2010
Liverpool
I'm looking to do something simlilar in my fishouse when i finally move in/get the money. I know Chester Zoo in the UK use Cyperus on all their FW tanks and that works well. I also got some advice from Tropica (tropica.dk if you've not heard of them) to use Cyperus helferi – or Lobelia cardinalis, Hygrophila-types, Shinnersia

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store