FireMedic's hydroponics idea - success fail stories

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
i used water lettuce in my tank. it rapidly declined in health and died off. i'm thinking it was a combination insufficient lighting and not enough nutrients. going to try once i re-setup my tank using different plants.

Horiyoshi III

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
41.769N -71.129W
www.facebook.com
hereticlosmorte;4902312; said:
i used water lettuce in my tank. it rapidly declined in health and died off. i'm thinking it was a combination insufficient lighting and not enough nutrients. going to try once i re-setup my tank using different plants.
Not only that, if you have any surface splash, the water lettuce's hair or filaments will become water logged and they will flip over, that usually contributes to it not doing well.

ajsmith235

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2010
Southern Indiana
My Pothos are really going crazy the last few days, new roots everywhere, and keeping my nitrates right at 20ppm. Hope every1 that hasnt tried this, decides to do it, bc your just helping you fish, your water and yourselves!

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Horiyoshi III;4903924; said:
Not only that, if you have any surface splash, the water lettuce's hair or filaments will become water logged and they will flip over, that usually contributes to it not doing well.
never had any flipping over like that, they just started yellowing and dying off.
interesting though, never knew of that possibility, ty for the info.

i wouldn't use water lettuce next time.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Seems like water lettuce is picky about light spectrum. I've had it pwn some tanks while piddling away in others, and switching lights evened things out.

As for my 55g, the plants are growing well. My aquatic sword plants died and I think they contributed to a nitrate spike. I don't ever expect any of these efforts to pay off. I see all these plants and tanks and people claim to have low nitrates. Seems like a bunch of BS after all. It makes a slight difference, but so far it's not doing the job as it should. Nitrates were over 40ppm this week. That's the usual high without plants.

Are you all actually reading the instructions on the nitrate test? Shake 2nd bottle 30 seconds, cap tube after adding second liquid and shake for one full minute, read after time period as stated in instructions?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
knifegill;4908762; said:
I don't ever expect any of these efforts to pay off. I see all these plants and tanks and people claim to have low nitrates. Seems like a bunch of BS after all. It makes a slight difference, but so far it's not doing the job as it should. Nitrates were over 40ppm this week. That's the usual high without plants.

Are you all actually reading the instructions on the nitrate test? Shake 2nd bottle 30 seconds, cap tube after adding second liquid and shake for one full minute, read after time period as stated in instructions?
Pathos conspiracy?

Who's lying?

:ROFL:

Sounds like someone needs some growing Pathos. ;) I bet most of the people here tried it cause they didn't believe it. Maybe you should do the same.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
I have over 12 feet of pothos growing out of my 55g. It has long roots and robust leaves. And does nothing noticeable to my nitrates. Do you need to have hard water for this to work? I also have spider plants and a willow branch, all growing profusely to no effect.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
knifegill;4909274; said:
I have over 12 feet of pothos growing out of my 55g. It has long roots and robust leaves. And does nothing noticeable to my nitrates. Do you need to have hard water for this to work? I also have spider plants and a willow branch, all growing profusely to no effect.
Post some pics.....

Do WCs change the Ntrate reading?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store