Firemouth pair tank mates?

Isaac'sTank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2016
I have a 90g where I'm planning on breeding firemouths. I want to add another species. I would love to add a severum, but I think it would be too much for the firemouths to handle or vice versa depending on size. Would a jack dempsey or a texas be too much for the firemouths even if they are a mated pair? Any recommendations or comments? Dimensions of the tank are 48x18x22

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
The severum would have a better chance of working out than a texas or jack Dempsey in my experience. Severums are large enough that the FMs won't kill it, and mild enough that it won't kill them. Texas can be quite aggressive, as can jack dempseys.
I would ask what your priorities are. Do you want to breed the FM's and raise the young? If so I would probably hold off on other cichlids, they can disturb the pair and also can eat the young. If you just want a nice community tank, I would say a severum that is larger than the FM's would be a good choice of fish that could hold it's own without being a bully.

Reactions: Isaac'sTank

Isaac'sTank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2016
I have warmed up to the idea of having a group of firemouths a lot more. That's most likely the direction I will take. As it is I am getting firemouths from four different people to keep it diverse. Would five-star firemouths fit comfortably in a 90g? They are still very young for the most part. One is pushing four and a half inches though.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I think that is probably a better idea than mixing other cichlids in there. Firemouths like to live in groups, and are more interesting to keep that way as well. Four and a half inches is not a very young firemouth, that is an adult for sure. Keep an eye on them when you get a pair, I suspect it will be fine though with adequate hiding spots.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store