first arrowana setup, HELP PLEASE!

Bobtastic6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
United States
i have wanted to own an arrowana for a long time now and i finally have the moeny to make it happen. just want to shoot off a few questions about recomended supplies to do this the right way.
1. 75 gallons? good start? enough for the long haul?
2. filtration for this bad boy, any recomended brands/models? also jets, size? number? model/brand?
3. gravel? sand?
4. recomended lighting setup
5. thoughts on live plants opposed to plastic?

i know this is alot but i just want to reach out to the arrowana community and get some feed back before i make any moves. i would have to do it all on my on only to realize my new fish is living in poor conditions. any thoughts/comments more than welcome

russll_13

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2009
Toronto, Ontario Canada
75 will be ok for a while but most likely will have to upgrade later.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Just throwing it out there:

What kind of Arow we talking about?

Dillingerescaped

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
United States
75 is a great size tank to start with a little guy. I have a 4 inch jar in a 90 at the moment for it to grow. I am running an eheim 2217 and marineland 350 HOB filter, water is alway good and clear. I have a thin layer of black gravel and a black background, makes the Jar pop. I bought a cheap dual strip t-5 light from LFS for like 100, has an actinic light and a 10k light real nice. And plants I just have some fake amazon plants-dont have the patience to deal with live-however live works.
Small aros need to be monitored-they are jumpy and need excellent water. I put rocks on my covers, works for now but I think once it hits about 8 inches I might need to put something heavier.
Not sure on aro growth rates compared with others, but by logic the jar is much smaller then the silver fully grown, so it might take longer to hit 10 inches then the silver? just my guess.

Bobtastic6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
United States
Dillingerescaped;3609424; said:
75 is a great size tank to start with a little guy. I have a 4 inch jar in a 90 at the moment for it to grow. I am running an eheim 2217 and marineland 350 HOB filter, water is alway good and clear. I have a thin layer of black gravel and a black background, makes the Jar pop. I bought a cheap dual strip t-5 light from LFS for like 100, has an actinic light and a 10k light real nice. And plants I just have some fake amazon plants-dont have the patience to deal with live-however live works.

awesome thank you! so these guys aren't gonna bug with bright lights or get sick it they're too dim i take it?

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Bobtastic6;3609407; said:
prob going with silver. good first arow? blue/black or jardini better?
Jardini's are good for a 75gal for awhile. growth rate is a lot slower then a silver.
IMHO....i would go with a Jardini for a 75gal.

And a silver will out grow a 75gal in a year...and to me, that's not awhile.

As for filters: i like my FX5.

Just picked up a jar yesterday.... not my first, but one of the nicest i have owned.

Dillingerescaped

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
United States
you from Hawaii? There have been some nice Jars going around I picked mine up not to long ago also.
Jars also jump less when there younger...I had a small silver got spooked so easily

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Dillingerescaped;3609468; said:
you from Hawaii? There have been some nice Jars going around I picked mine up not to long ago also.
Jars also jump less when there younger...I had a small silver got spooked so easily
Yep.....

But now in the states..... Jar's are great looking as well.....

This is my set up....

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store