FIRST EGG LAYING DISCUSS INFO NEEDED!

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
So yea removed the angel fish who wouldn’t stop breeding and boom I just noticed darkish orange eggs guarded by a leopard snakeskin discus. Since I just noticed I’m unsure of the other parent and this is the first spawn so I’m new to discus, I’ve raised angels Africans recently L129 Colombian zebra plecos (still on going) but discus are my main goal. Here’s a pic. Just looking for info being this is the first time like should I let them figure it out in a discus only 100 gal 4’x2’x20” or put them in one of many other tanks, 20g tall, 40g breeder, 55g etc (those 3 unused currently was planning on grow outs eventually) there are 9 total in the 100gal along w a blue phantom which I pray won’t eat them. 4 leopard snakeskin, 3 red leopard snakeskin and 2 dark angels. But yea clearly one parent is the non red. Just gotta confirm the second parent.. here’s a pick let me know if everything looks normal. I won’t have the 20 tall up n running until tomorrow (Sunday 5/29)

BB836C38-F861-4916-B5B9-C69516D94FE0.jpeg

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
I removed the blue phantom pleco to be safe cuz he’s prob 5+inches also looks like I found the second parent (who happens to be the biggest in the tank✅)

50F28A11-C2AE-450E-9520-C09240CF13F5.jpeg

in the first image it was the smaller one fanning the eggs

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
Congrats!!!
Possibly 2 scenario
1.Female laid eggs without a male
2. Female chased male away and guarding the eggs on her own.
Looks like I found the second parent the largest leopard snakeskin (pic above with both) cuz he/she is guarding them now and I believe eggs are white when underutilized? Orangish red once fertilized right?

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
I personally would leave them be.
Yea I think I’m gonna do that, the angels would have like a hundred free swimmers but I purposely would stir them into the water to feed the discus since I want to breed discus, that’s was always the goal you know? But eventually shouldn’t I move the discus fry into say the 20T to raise or a box to feed them baby brine orrr do u know if they will take .2 mm tiny pellets? I can go to my local guy who own kens fish warehouse (great online prices just fyi) highly knowledgeable. But yea I’m open to all suggestions!! Thank you!

Reactions: tlindsey

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
A few Cichlid species the fry will feed off the parents and the Discus is one of them.
im just curious how long they can feed off their parents before needing the next “size up” for food and what that would be. Im thinking parents->baby brine-> brine-> blood worms?

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store