First Large Aquarium

LongPig

Feeder Fish
Apr 10, 2024
DE, PA
I am planning my first large freshwater aquarium after keeping nano reefs for about 20 years. I plan on setting up a 150 gallon RR and I was wondering what is the way to go for filtration? Canister or sump? If I go with a sump I was also going to add a refugium. I can build my own but I was wondering for those that suggest a sump, what brand are you using currently? So basically sump, canister

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I use any old tank for a refugium/sump. But I prefer the larger the better.
I use a 125 gal tank, as a sump for my 180 gal tank.
To me those tiny, expensive commercial units are not worth the trouble, and barely superior to cans.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
To me those tiny, expensive commercial units are not worth the trouble, and barely superior to cans.
This ^ in spades!

Sumps are great because they have so many functional advantages over canisters, advantages which have been detailed numerous times in numerous threads. But a significant percentage of the people who get a sump don't seem to do so because it works so well, but rather because it's a cool, shiny, high-tech-looking piece of plastic that they often display as though it is the main goal of their fish-keeping hobby. And many of those commercial sumps...when viewed through eyes that have used sumps for years or decades as filters rather than as showpieces...are utterly ridiculous and non-functional, with many design choices which are made entirely to look cool but which actually counteract the intended purpose of keeping water clean.

If you go to a home-improvement store and buy some fancy, expensive, designer flush toilet that costs a fortune...but doesn't really flush that well...and then you install it in a bathroom with a clear glass door that allows everyone to see your treasured new toy, and to watch it being used...well, you're heading for that mind-set that leads to something like the Sumpmaster X-1000 Magnum Deluxe. :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Backfromthedead
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store