First Native tank

Pumpkinseed

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ok well I guess no crayfish for me :(. Also where would be a good place to start collecting? (Plan on going before it gets colder) I live near a river but I haven't found much there asides from blacknoes dace and brook stickleback.
I had a crayfish with small cichlids back before I went native. They were fine together for a year, then the crayfish molted, and the sunfish somehow pulled him from his hole and picked him clean. I came home and there was nothing left but the shell. I would expect the same from sunfish...

fish042099

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
Northern N.J.
I'm honestly not sure what is "natice" to Toronto, but pan fish of some sort are pretty cool and smaller ones will be OK in a 30 (at least for a while). I find the local river bream here to be fascinating. Not sure what the correct scientific name is and too lazy to look it up right now. They have an electric blue banding across the face that is quite attractive. You will just have to research in your area. Make sure keeping wild fish is legal there and search for fish that will be OK in that size tank. I'm sure you can come up with some attractive and interesting species.
In toronto? Cold water trout and salmon, but not very good for a 30 gallon

Owain4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
amongst the trees
If I'm the source from NANFA that you're talking about then I'm on this forum as well ;). OP, I'm from Markham and if you want I could show you some good spots to collect some natives, PM me if you'd like.
Haha yep you would be the source. I highly suggest the op take up Umbra's offer and go get some beautiful natives.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store