First Planted Tank - 29 gallon

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Honestly think of Co2 and Ferts as food for your plants... So just like a human, eating junk food all their life, yes they may survive they wont thrive...

So no matter how much light (junkfood) you feed them, they cant develop properly due to missing other inportant nutrients...

And no offense, but i also tried out the cheap route for planted tanks to begin with and can tell you it rarely works out...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jaybe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
Los Angeles
I have been thinking of running a 20g planted tank any suggestions??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Batboi3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2009
Huron, SD
Honestly think of Co2 and Ferts as food for your plants... So just like a human, eating junk food all their life, yes they may survive they wont thrive...

So no matter how much light (junkfood) you feed them, they cant develop properly due to missing other inportant nutrients...

And no offense, but i also tried out the cheap route for planted tanks to begin with and can tell you it rarely works out...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

What kind of ferts would you recommend to start with given my plant stock? And what about dry ferts? Heard dry ferts work just as well and can work longer. I'd definitely rather put some stuff down and forget about it for a couple months verses dose daily or even weekly. My job takes me out of town for a couple weeks here and there and don't want my wife to worry about that stuff.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I personally use liquid ferts myself, because trying to find all the dry ingredients in this town isn't quite so easy...

With that said, i can't really give you advice on dry ferts, but there are a few members here that do use the dry ferts, so hopefully they can chime in and give you some details on dry fert dosing and what you need for that...

Batboi3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2009
Huron, SD
Tried dirting my 29 gallon this last weekend. It looks great but ended up killing my 5 beautiful Turquoise Australian Rainbows and a bristle nose pleco. Poop.... Got to do some water changes now as the water is a bit tan and has a hint of ammonia to it. Ammonia read about .25-.50ppm at most and the pH was about 8.2-8.4 which is interesting because every water faucet in my home comes out at about 7.4-7.6. Odd.... Only survivors and live stock include a gold gouramis, a clown pleco and some red cherry shrimp. I am open to suggestions as to what to stock in this tank. Still figuring out community fish. Been a long time since i have dabled with peaceful fish and got to say I haven't had much luck with this tank since setting it up. Would still like to try some tetras and a couple angels in here.

Don't know if the water output is a bit too high. Had a penguin 350 HOB filter on it, which in retrospect has an output of 350 GPH and is rated for a 75 gallon tank supposedly. So probably a little overkill on a 29. I switched to a HOT Magnum canister filter which is suppose to be rated at only 250 GPH and a 55 gallon tank. I like the set up of the HOT Mag filter better but the output is still quite the current. I made the holes in the DIY spray bar a little bigger after filming this video to help open up the current a little bit which seemed to slow it down some. Let me know your thoughts on the video. Here's a link to it. Thanks everyone for your continued help!

[video=youtube;x-LoHURzJDc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-LoHURzJDc[/video]

Batboi3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2009
Huron, SD
Wondering about water output and filtration on my 29 gallon a minute. I have a HOT magnum filter on the 29 now and its output doesn't seem nearly as bad as the penguin 350 HOB I had on it. At least with the direction I have the output spraying. The HOT mag says it's rated for a 55 so I know it's a bit overkill at about 250 Gallons Per Hour (GPH). I will be inheriting two fluval 204's next week and they are suppose to be rated at about for a 40-50 gallon tank @ 180 GPH. I'm trying to mix and match a few filters between my 90 gallon and my 29 gallon. So for a 29 planted and desiring to have angel fish, which combo would be better.

Thoughts as to which direction of filtration combo would be better?

- two HOT magnums on the 90 gallon and one 204 on the 29 gallon???

or....

- two 204's on the 90 gallon and one HOT magnum on the 29 gallon???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store