First plwood tank build started..... with pics

shelbyzman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
USA
good job! Can't wait to see the finished product :)

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
sanding of the entire interior completed. i will be adding the first coat of rubber in about an hour. i will then be reinforcing all of the seams, and puting another coat over it all.

i need ideas for the seams.... 1x1s sound good.

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
I added my first coat of rubber today after the sanding. I only used around 25% of a gallon on the first coat, so it looks like i will be able to do at least 6-8 good coats with the 2 gallons i have. I used a fine sponge roller brush to apply it and a regular brush for the corners. this stuff went on just like paint and dryed in under 5 mins. I really like this stuff so far. plus there is next to no smell... you really have to sniff it up close to get a scent of it, but then it drys less than 5 mins later and the smell is next to gone.

My plan is toseal the tank with a first coat of rubber, then place the braces in. i will do 1x1's over all of the seams, and all around the inside base and top possibly. thats should do it. i'll then recoat the whole tank. the 1x1's will be just for that is just additional bracing for the inside which i may upgrade to 2x2's if i can find some. or even 2x1's

anyways..... PICS

100_3296.jpg

100_3297.jpg

toomanyfishes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2006
Rochester, NY
This is looking really great! And is no bringing me closer to finalizing my
plans for my build. Too bad the house needs a roof first :(.
I will have to postpone the build a bit further.
I have written to Permadri asking for more info (pricing and availability to me locally or by shipping, etc) but have not gotten a response yet. H ell who knows by the time I'm finally ready, you guys should have come up with a way to build one of these things filter and all for under $50 per 100gals.:headbang2
Keep up the great work

steelayer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2008
MN
im really enjoying watching this build as its gonna help me build my own soon hopefully. For braceing you could probaly get 2x4s and have someone with a table saw cut them into 2x2s for you thats what we use to make fish houses and they are strong and fairly cheap since a 8 foot 2x4 makes 16 feet of 2x2.

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
steelayer;3042247; said:
im really enjoying watching this build as its gonna help me build my own soon hopefully. For braceing you could probaly get 2x4s and have someone with a table saw cut them into 2x2s for you thats what we use to make fish houses and they are strong and fairly cheap since a 8 foot 2x4 makes 16 feet of 2x2.
I never thought of that! i think thats what i'll do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store