First plwood tank build started..... with pics

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
yeah, your glass is cheaper than what I have here... but i've seen 3/8's glass for a 100 gal run around 100... that was a few years backl before it got expensive for some reason.. but yeah.. people can figure on atleast 125 for glass all the way up to how ever much they want to spend ....

Grog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
Inverhuron, Ontario
I'll try the plywood bonding and let you guys know how it goes. Might be valuable for people that just want to go the 'garf' method without support or bracing, the thickness would be limitless, lol
Joey, although the rubber starts brown and drys black it may revert back to a brown color once wet. The pond sealer I've used tends to do this but this product may be different. Good news about the potability, lets hope that Aussies don't require a certain level of liquid rubber in their water to pass guidelines. Way excited about your cost effecttive approach! Rural Canadian living can bring it's share of highway robbery(if the highway even goes that far) and any break you can get is nice.

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
Rivermud;3044721; said:
yeah, your glass is cheaper than what I have here... but i've seen 3/8's glass for a 100 gal run around 100... that was a few years backl before it got expensive for some reason.. but yeah.. people can figure on atleast 125 for glass all the way up to how ever much they want to spend ....
I'd rather blow a budget on great Glass than on sealing... But that doesn't mean to take a short cut... just means that I'm willing to look at nice cost effective methods for sealing... If all we wanted was something that would hold water for a long time and only cared about the cost... we would all have liner ponds, we want to see our fishy friends though so veiwing area is Tres Important!

Grog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
Inverhuron, Ontario
Very succinctly put basslover. In my quest for an affordable viewing panel, WPS plastics in Ontario quoted me a price of $328 for an 8'x4' cell cast acrylic sheet in 1/2 in. If well supported it could make 2-220's or maybe even an 8x3 viewing area. Just thought I'd mention it to guys in rural areas looking for an alternative to glass. Rage Onwards tankbuilders...

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
basslover34;3045297; said:
:ROFL: I love that part... "it smells like a rubber... errrr... a Rubber glove! " :ROFL: :thumbsup: Good job!
lol it does smell like rubber gloves. like a freshly opened box of them.

Also, i forgot to add, it does make a rubber seal. when i run my fingers over it when it cured, it squeeks. But its like a very tough rubber. i cannot scratch it with my nails when i pick at it, and if i press a sharp object in to it, it makes a dent, but then the dent dissapears right away, very cool stuff.

Doc_Polit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2007
Blackfalds, Alberta
Superb thread Joey......and great find with the Zavlar.

I am hoping to model my next DIY after yours. OK with you?

I just scored a cracked 180 gallon for FREE. Man that word has a nice ring to it.....FREE. :ROFL:

I'll be following until you've got fish thriving in it. Best of Luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store