First salt water build. Fluval Spec 2 gallon!

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
V8Killer;5053849; said:
You can even use tap water if your water test results are not that bad. Take your water to a lfs and have them test it.
No, with reef tanks, you generally want RO/DI water. That means absolutely ZERO TDS! Tap water can be used in a FOWLR tank but not in a reef tank. Corals are sensitive to stuffs like heavy metals (even in trace amount) and im pretty sure tap water has them.

Tom LoFaro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2010
11704 NY
It's not that I was shooting him down, I just don't want his first experience with salt water to be a hassle and make it seem like it's harder than it actually is, I was also just letting him know it's not advised.. Sorry if you mistook what I said, lol.

PSU21Reef

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2010
pennsylvania
I'd personally only put easy corals in this tank that only need light to survive and not supplemental feedings, such as zoas. Adding inverts that need fed will pollute such a small volume of water instantly, and would require a same day water change.

I'd also try to get an auto top off system so you don't have to worry about adding water daily. There are some pretty cheap and simple ones available.

If you do want to go with inverts, check out sexy shrimp. They are perfect for nanos and are entertaining. I have 5 in my 28 gallon and love them.

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
If you do a coral only tank you should be good. I think you could keep something like a red spotted or red striped goby because they are like 1/2-1", very small. Make a build thread and let us know what happens...

Do use RODI. Treating tap water is a bad idea because of potential water contaminates like phosphates and nitrates that a dechlorinator won't get rid of. My LFS sells RODI of .60/gal and premixed reefwater (1.025)for 1.15/gal... I mean if you do a 50% water change a week you'll spend a whopping 1.15... buy the water man

Out of curiosity what circulation pump are you gonna run?

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
TMartinez;5057487; said:
If you do a coral only tank you should be good. I think you could keep something like a red spotted or red striped goby because they are like 1/2-1", very small. Make a build thread and let us know what happens...

Do use RODI. Treating tap water is a bad idea because of potential water contaminates like phosphates and nitrates that a dechlorinator won't get rid of. My LFS sells RODI of .60/gal and premixed reefwater (1.025)for 1.15/gal... I mean if you do a 50% water change a week you'll spend a whopping 1.15... buy the water man

Out of curiosity what circulation pump are you gonna run?
trying to find a nano pump.

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
Update!

So I got two new fish today! Two damsels. They seem to be doing fine now and already eating! I named the white and black one bob and the yellow one marley. They are there just to help the tank cycle and I will give them to my uncle after the cycle has finished. I did get about more than a gallon of salt water from my lfs and I added the rest. The tank looks plain right now but I will be going back to my lfs tomorrow for some live sand and live rock. I tested the water I got from the lfs and it was 1.021 so I tried to make the rest of the water 1.021 and got it just right. The water I used to mix the salt with was drinking water. I am going to slowly acclimate them to 1.025 so I can start putting corals in. Can anyone ID my damsels please?

update1.jpg

update2.jpg

update3.jpg

update4.jpg

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
Total cost so far: $63.00
---------------------------------------------------------------
Fluval Spec 2g tank: $40.00