First Tank (125 gallon) - Which Cichlids should I get?

pistonville

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
I just bought a 125 gallon fish tank and it will be my first tank ever. I want to put Cichlids in it, so I'm looking for suggestions on which ones I should get.

I'm looking for low-maintenance, colorful Cichlids that are the least likely to become aggressive against each other. I plan to buy them as young, small fish and watch them grow over the years. I do not plan to add new fish after my initial stocking, unless some die and need to be replaced. The Cichlids don't have to grow to be absolutely huge, but I do want ones that will grow to be at least 12". I'm not certain how many 12" Cichlids I can put in a 125 gallon tank, but I hope I can 4-6 different Cichlids.

Suggestions???

Thanks in advance.

Miike47

Feeder Fish
Sep 14, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I just set up my first 125 with African Cichlids a few months ago. You will want to do some research and decide if you want Mbunas, Haps, or a combination of both. Many people like the look of an all male Hap tank because the males show more color than females, but I set mine up with a combination of Haps and Peacocks hoping for some breeding. I picked my favorite peacock and went with one species so there would not be any cross-breeding. I would also recommend a sand substrate as cichlids like to sift the sand through their gills.

Here are a few that I went with in my tank for some color:
Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania" (Star Sapphire)
Chilotilapia Rhoadesii
Red Cap Lethrinops
German Red Peacock

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Low maintenance and 4-6 large cichlids really dont work. Lower maintenance would be a nice solo cichlid, maybe something like a midas, or red devil.

jpierce3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
Western Ohio
For a beginner aquarist, I would suggest only two 12"-16" fish at the max. See the problem with larger sized cichlids is they are generally messy eaters. Lots of uneaten food going down into the filter and lots of waste. That all means more maintenance. Any more than two and you could be looking at 2-3 times a week water changes.

One fish to consider would be Astronotus ocellatus aka Oscars. A couple (maybe even a pair) would be perfect for you. They grow quickly, not overly aggressive, very common and available at most retail stores, they have a lot of personality, and they are nice looking. They will also enjoy the occasional live food such as meal worms, night crawlers, crickets. I gut load meal worms for a gecko and my Green Terror loves them. Every three or four weeks he gets a little treat.

The other suggestion I could make is Hypselecara temporalis aka Chocolate Cichlid. The males can get to 12" and females a bit smaller. I have some that I'm growing out, but they are pretty interesting. They are really goofy, but they are considered peaceful for cichlids. All cichlids are aggressive, but these are on the lower end for sure.

Downside to both Oscars and Chocolate Cichlids is they like good water conditions, which mean maintaining at least weekly water changes of rough 30-50% of the tank.

I'm sure that with some research you can find something you like. Others might have more suggestions.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Synspilum?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Low maintenance and 4-6 large cichlids really dont work. Lower maintenance would be a nice solo cichlid, maybe something like a midas, or red devil.
+1

Your current wants are unrealistic and will end in an epic failure. I will also add that in a standard 125 gallon tank, I would not recommend even 1 or 2 fish that can eventually max out at 16". Cichlids that reach that size are also typically very large in girth, and will not be comfortable in the width of a standard 125. (under 18" actual swim space)

Think small, miss small .....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store