First Tank Ever (125 gallon) - Which Cichlids Should I Get?

pistonville

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
I just bought a 125 gallon fish tank and it will be my first tank ever. I want to put Cichlids in it, so I'm looking for suggestions on which ones I should get.

I'm looking for low-maintenance, colorful Cichlids that are the least likely to become aggressive against each other. I plan to buy them as young, small fish and watch them grow over the years. I do not plan to add new fish after my initial stocking, unless some die and need to be replaced. The Cichlids don't have to grow to be absolutely huge, but I do want ones that will grow to be at least 12". I'm not certain how many 12" Cichlids I can put in a 125 gallon tank, but I hope I can 4-6 different Cichlids.

Suggestions???

Thanks in advance.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Severums would be quite good, they have a reputation for being among the more peaceful cichlids that get large.

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
Sounds like you should look into african rift lake cichlids, they are more colourful then american cichlids usually, although they tend to not be as interative.

Also they require hard high pH water instead of low pH soft water that americans want.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
In my 200 gallon I have flowerhorns Midas red devil Texas and midevils. You gotta grow them young together and have tons of hiding spots. If I see aggression once introduced later on I put the aggressor into a different tank for two or three days and put him back. I have a two inch bonsai flowerhorn with a 16 inch Midas who can easily just eat him.

A lot of people love blood parrots! You can get a colony of bloods and short body flowerhorns or Kirin parrots!

Reactions: convict360

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Starting with a 125! I like the way you do things.
12" cichlids is a large cichlid most that get that size are highly aggresive limiting numbers to a pair. remember a 12 fish is also going to be 6"-7" tall.

I second the severum suggestion. I would do a group of Severums and Nicaraguans. Severums get larger (about 10"), colorful, and are on the lower end of the aggression scale. Nics are also about 10" but not as tall. You could do 3 severum and 4 nics and add a group of either Rainbows or larger tetras.

This is my 75 with severum and nics. The nicuraguans are juvenile. I hope to move these to a 125.

Baby Green Severum

These aren't mine but this is what adult Nicuaraguans and Green Severum look like

Last edited:

lekkiandgas

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
hertfordshire, england
if it was me (so this is my own opinion entirely ), I'd get one of each cichlid the same sex, like jd,jag, texas, gt, convict, geo,midas etc, and get them from as small as you can from when you are able to sex them, that way you get a range of different fish as compared to if you get a pair that especially breed, become much more agressive to other fish when in that mode, and largen their territories imo,
definitely get some clownloach though, they are a delight to watch! and aren't really seen as a threat by cichlids, the most is they get shooed away
I have got a pair of sevs and they was in with a texas and a breeding gt pair, they was hassled constantly, seen as the lowest of the hierarchy, and although they lived and tolerated eachother, the sevs got hassled the most.
but, when not breeding, they will tolerate sevs more
also want to point out if a sev and other cichlids in a tank,of course the other fish will test the sev and I've found that they eventually get fed up and don't retreat, therefore gaining some dominance in the hierarchy and left alone more
good luck in whatever you choose and be sure to let us know! :)

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Geophagus species would be a good choice, they can be territorial but I wouldn't call them aggressive at all. Severums are also a good option. Prob wont get to 12" though. What about a pair of Oscars or something

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store