First timer

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
It can touch the glass, just make sure its secure so it doesn't shift. Its instability you want to be worried about if it shifts and hits the glass then you'll have a problem.

julsy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2009
indiana
touching is fine, infact i have alot of touching rock, like said above, you just dont want it to shift and slam into the glass, cleaning up a water spill sucks

chawk610

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX.
Oh jeez, yea... don't even want to think of that. Woke up this morning and the watr looks pristine. How long till I can put a clown fish in???

julsy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2009
indiana
you will want to monitor your nitrates, nitrites, amonia, and ph. It takes a bit for the tank to stabilize, also another check on your salinity and temp doesnt hurt.

ph should be 8.0-8.4
nitrates should be below 30ppm (my personal safety level)
nitrites, should be nearly 0
ammonia, should be at 0

since you just filled the tank, let it run a week, check your levels, then again 2 -3 days later, if they are going up, keep checking every 2-3 days till the fall

chawk610

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX.
julsy;3275234; said:
you will want to monitor your nitrates, nitrites, amonia, and ph. It takes a bit for the tank to stabilize, also another check on your salinity and temp doesnt hurt.

ph should be 8.0-8.4
nitrates should be below 30ppm (my personal safety level)
nitrites, should be nearly 0
ammonia, should be at 0

since you just filled the tank, let it run a week, check your levels, then again 2 -3 days later, if they are going up, keep checking every 2-3 days till the fall
Julsy, the tank has been running for 3 weeks
just added rock Friday. Temp is 82, PH 8.4, going to test nitrites / ammonia in a bit.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Is the rock live? Or is it just rock? That would make a difference in how long you would need to wait/test..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store