First try with a remote triggered flash

BadOscar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2009
Maine
I got one of the Yongnuo RF-602 remote flash triggers off ebay. Here are a few of my first attempt. The flash was placed on the glass overhead. The pics really show a lot of floaties. Maybe I should turn the powerhead off next time. Interested if anyone has any suggestions on getting some better pics.

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Great first try.:)
Best tips I can give are to keep the overhead flash towards the front of the tank, make sure the glass is spotless inside and out prior to shooting. Don't feed if you are going to shoot so your water column doesn't have any particles. An overhead flash is a quick way to realize the need for better mechanical filtration.:D
I shoot in full manual, lowest ISO possible,shutter speed 1/200th - 1/250th and adjust your f-stop until you get the desired shot.

BadOscar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2009
Maine
greenterra Thanks for the tips. I was hoping you would reply. I always love your pics they are really nice. Do you keep your tank lights on when you shoot?

jag123

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 16, 2008
Ohio
Wow - love that second shot - keep up the good work.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
nice shots! try using a big stryofoam box/ice chest. place it on the tank upside down. put your flash in the box pointed up. youll get a nice even bounce flash to avoid the 'spot light' look :)

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
Where's the fish in your avatar? Congrats on the overhead flash, they make all the difference! The fish look great.

jcardona1;4249286; said:
nice shots! try using a big stryofoam box/ice chest. place it on the tank upside down. put your flash in the box pointed up. youll get a nice even bounce flash to avoid the 'spot light' look :)
Intereseting idea. Sometimes I like the spotlight effect but mostly not, I know some people use a paper towel to diffuse but I'm plain lazy. If I'm taking pic's of someone else's fish I tell them to change the water and clean the glass 24hrs before and don't feed. Turning the filters off is needed sometimes if you're getting bubbles. But you have to remember to turn them back on, so I try to avoid doing that.

My pic's aren't as good as green's but I don't try very hard either. For me 200iso works best. I leave all the tank lights on and turn off all the other ligths in the room.

About 7 months ago I bought a fixed focal lengh lens (50, 60 or 70mm I can't remember) with 1.8f and in most cases I don't even use a flash anymore (mainly when taking pic's of my fish). Again that's just me being lazy. It's great for quick pic's and capturing the colors I'm seeing.

BadOscar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2009
Maine
Thanks for all the tips. I will try the styrofoam cooler trick.

Danger_Chicken;4250090; said:
Where's the fish in your avatar? Congrats on the overhead flash, they make all the difference! The fish look great.
That's Don Conkel's Rainbow Regani, the fish in the center of the second picture is one of it's offspring.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store