i shut of my trickle filter and rinsed out my xp3 and changed some filters
hope this helps. my mind has gone syco over this

bigdaddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Michigan
www.myspace.com
i use nutrafin ph stabilizer, african cichlid conditioner, amquel+ nitrate and ammonia remover

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
if you cleaned the tank and changed the filters you killed your beneficial bactieria or at least a large amount of it. This will cause a spike and that will cause fish to die. If this is the case I highly suggest you get them in another tank "hospital" tank and out of that water asap. Now the tank they go in will need to have water from a good tank... dont put them in 100% new water otherwise it will go through a cycle and kill the fish.

As in I had a tank spike once... so I used a spare tank and added water from a different tank (one that water paramaters were good on) along with some new water from the tap, treated it and added the fish and used a filter off one of the other good tanks on the hopital tank.

Not sure if this will help if you dont have other tanks to use. In that case test for ammonia and treat the ammonia asap. Thats all I would really know how to do. I dont know what happened with my tank but I ended up having to tare it down, keep all the fish in a holding tank and re-start my large tank from scratch. (Hopefully that is not the case for you)

bigdaddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Michigan
www.myspace.com
dont know i dont have any tanks available right now

Hwom91

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2009
Oregon, IL
My lfs sells start smart. This is supposed to cycle a tank instantly. I dont know about that but it will give it a nice kick start and as long as you watch you water it should help a lot.

bigdaddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Michigan
www.myspace.com
i have a 55gal with a 7 inch female gold severum (i know the tank is to small buying a 75gal for just her soon) and a 3inch female pink con in it can i put any of my africans in there
5 inch frontosa
6 inch Ahli
5 inch eye bitter
4 inch red zebra
6 inch kandgo
6 inch victorian lake cichlid
8 inch pleco

alexmuw

Feeder Fish
Jul 31, 2009
meow
Ya, you can put some of your favorite fish in the 55. Go out and buy a divider, and divide the Severum and con from the africans (allow the africans to acclimate to the water). You won't able to add all of them, or you will have another ammonia spike (due to Bio-load).

What are your water parameters(125)? Your ammonia is probably off the charts. You can try some of that "Beneficial Bacteria" (BB) in a bottle; don't know how well it works. It's supposed to be a temporary fix until you get yours BB going (You have to wean off it of slowly to allow your BB to compensate.

If your BB is completely gone, put the fish you didn't put in your 55, into the 125. Check water parameters several times a day, and do a water change when ammonia goes above 1 ppm (IME don't let it go above 1 ppm or you'll start getting floaters).

Good luck and keep us updated!!! :headbang2:headbang2

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
If you don't have a test kit- Buy one immediatley. You can only guess what's going on without one. Daily 50% water changes can save your fish without moving them and build a new Bio-cycle quickly IF your tank was previously cycled properly.

Ammonia is not the only thing that can crash a cycled tank - cold and too hot water can aswell - both are also symptomatic of cloudy conditions. Using Dechlorinator will do nothing to change temp. Also have you tested your tap water for Chlorimine? Yet another invisible Fish killer. If Chloramine is present you'll need a product that can break this bond. PH buffers used improperly can also cause huge swings in the PH value causing stress and even death in fish tanks. Adding too many fish at one time can also raise ammonia/nitrate to deadly levels - becarful adding to your 55 to save the fish you may injure or kill them all.

All of this can only be determined with a test kit, til then cross your fingers.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
advice given above I would follow. You can get a divider and add a few but as said before you can't add them all. Doing water changes as stated abouve would also help, . However you do need to find the problem other wise we can't help you in getting a more perminant solution.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store