FISH ARE DIEING HELP!!!!

bigdaddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Michigan
www.myspace.com
i have a test kit for ammonia and nitrate and every thing looks good. i dont know what to do this has been done plenty of times with me doing water changes and have never had a problem but this time the water is really cloudy and had 2 fish pass on me.

joel.uejio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2009
Los Angeles, CA USA
bigdaddy;4067195; said:
i have a test kit for ammonia and nitrate and every thing looks good.
Just to double check, by "good" you mean ammonia = 0, yes? Anything over 0 is harmful. What about nitrite?

If you're doing water changes, dechlorinating properly, and removing dead fish your water should be getting better.

Hope things work out!

bigdaddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Michigan
www.myspace.com
the water is getting better now and the fish are colored back up and there breathing has slowed down to normal so im happy but very sad about my losses i have thought about getting rid of my trickle filter and buying another XP3 and then i would just have 2 running the tank would that be a good choice.

spyke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2009
Here's one for ya...it sounds like you are doing better but know this.....
READ THE BOTTLE OF AMQUEL + !!!!!!!!
first, your wife probably added way too much, which caused your tank to stink, (or i it possible)
second, amquel + takes a butt load of oxygen out of the water when it declorinates and removes the ammonia and nitrites... which is not good, duh.
third, the loss of oxygen could cause the heavy and rapid breathing....

so that is just part of my thought on this...i really have no clue where the cloudy water comes into play...or the smell in reality...that smell of amquel dissipates pretty good when you add it to the water( unless you have WAY too much ^like mentioned earlier.

hope this helps for the future.

spyke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2009
but i do have a question for you...how long did you cycle the tank before adding all your fish, and how long have they been in there? because for the first 3 weeks of the life of a tank, with fish in it is very crucial...the 2nd and3rd weeks are very dangerous because of the nitrate cycle...the nitrate and nitrite are very high in those weeks and can spike if you have lots of fish in an uncycled tank....your lucky you didn't have a deadly and rampant ick breakout....i've lost 20+ midas cichlids that way all within a few days because of a waste spike...

alexmuw

Feeder Fish
Jul 31, 2009
meow
I'm pretty sure bigdaddy's tank was cycled for a while; he had a post months back about his new tank!

IF the Amquel did take a lot of oxygen out of the water, is it possible that the lack of oxygen in the water caused the BB in his canisters to die? (would be highly unlikely I know). Loss of BB would then cause the ammonia, which would cause the smell and cloudiness.

Just a few of my thoughts. BigDaddy, maybe switch to a new water dechlorinator.

Good luck and keep us updated. :headbang2:headbang2

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
^He said on page 2 at the top that he rinsed and cleaned his filters which would have caused a bb die off if he had also just cleand the tank. I made that mistake once in my fishy life.

If I have advice to give....clean the tank one week.... clean the filters the week after. Don't do it at the same time.

Prime is good, use it =] I like seachem's products and personally stick to those.

As for cloudiness.. I don't know but when it happened to me my ammonia was .5 everything else was 0 and my tank was cloudy... but I had no fish loss. The cloudyness could be caused by a number of things, but by what in your caase I am not sure.

MadRussian79

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
Where my fish swim
It could be a temp spike. Just had one hit my big tank. The plants took a beating. Smelled like dead plants but my tank is very lightly stocked so everyone survived. The o2 deprivation could have triggered a bacterial die out causing the death smell. When you rinsed the filter was it in tap or tank water?

CCC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
USA
I wish you success, Amqual is what I use also, do a warm 20 to 25 percent water change, add that in and hopefully your bio filter can get a grip on the situation.
Have you recently added any new fixtures to the tank or fish? Do you have an underwater gravel filtration system? What temp do you keep the tank at normally?
Why were you doing a 50 percent water change?
You should only be doing 10 to 15 percent change every 7 days with a gravel vac unless you have an under water gravel vac. Hope this helps you somewhat but I like prob everyone here knows what its like to loose fish and we can all agree it sucks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store