Fish brains itself

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
My pink tail tweaked out and beaned himself good. Upside down, can't orient, drift and dart, etc.

He is right side up now after about five or ten minutes.

Do they usually fully recover?

Looks like water change time huh?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
One of my Red Hooks did something similar a few days ago and now it seems as if it can only swim and hold itself in a horizontal position.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I had a tin foil jump out and hit the ceiling and carpet when I was scooping the trio of 8"ers to sell. The distance and carpet may have cushioned the impact but he seemed fine after a bit and I took him in to be with his buddies two days later.

Here's hoping the same thing happens with this guy

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It hit the ceiling,wow.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Years ago I was working my 4th day at a fish store and I netted out a blue dolphin cichlid for a customer. While carrying it from the tank to the bagging station (in those little clear boxes of water) it leaped out and hit the floor. I quickly put it back in the water, but it just floated. 100% dead. I apologized profusely to the customer (it was the last one we had) and told the owner to take it out of my paycheck. Cool boss though - he said "if that's the worst thing you've done so far then you're doing fine. Don't worry about it."

I was still horrified that it happened though, and I will never forget the memory!

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
he seems fine now fortunately. I did a big water change right away as soon as he was able to hold himself upright.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store